Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Change in QBI when entering SSN

Why would the Qualified Business Income and associated 20% deduction be reduced when I simply added my social security number to the personal info section when prepping my taxes? I typically add my SSN at the end, prior to filing. I noted that adding my SSN changed the QBI amount that I entered from my 1099-MISC to a lower amount (~$2,000 lower), which in turn lowered the 20% QBI deduction. Why would this occur when using Turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Good question for a programmer but the bottom line is that your return is not accurate until all information has been entered. Ignore any amounts that you see before your return is complete. 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I prepared a return as you mention, by putting in the numbers before completing the personal information, including the social security number. What I observed was that the Form 1040 was prepared correctly, but the refund meter on the top of the screen did not register the correct refund. Once I completed the personal information, the refund meter updated itself to reflect the correct amount. So it may be that the program is not fully functional until all required information is entered. Before you file your tax return the program will do an error check and you will be required to correct any missing or erroneous information before your tax calculation is final.

If you file a joint return, the QBI would have to be separately calculated based on who the QBI and associated deductions belong to, that may be an issue if you haven't entered the social security number of the primary taxpayer.

You can review your form 1040 while working in TurboTax to verify its accuracy by following these steps:

To view your form 1040 and schedule 1 to 3:

1. Choose Tax Tools from your left menu bar in TurboTax Online
  2. Choose Tools
  3. Choose View Tax Summary
  4. See the Preview my 1040 option in the left menu bar and click on it
  5. Choose the Back option in the left menu bar when you are done 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies