Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I use Nonfarm optional method if first year self-employed?

Hello, I'd appreciate some help with the nonfarm optional method as this is my first year being self-employed. Turbotax indicates "The taxpayer may not use this method more than five times and net self-employment income must have been $400 or more for at least two out of the last three years prior to this year." Since this is my first year being self-employed, does this mean I cannot select this method to calculate self-employment tax? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

That's exactly what it means -- you can't use this method in your first year of self-employment.

According to Nonfarm Optional Method in the Instructions for Schedule SE:

To use this method, you must also be regularly self-employed. You meet this requirement if your actual net earnings from self-employment were $400 or more in 2 of the 3 years before the year you use the nonfarm optional method. The net earnings of $400 or more could be from either farm or nonfarm earnings, or both. The net earnings include your distributive share of partnership income or loss subject to SE tax.

[Bolding mine.]

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

That's exactly what it means -- you can't use this method in your first year of self-employment.

According to Nonfarm Optional Method in the Instructions for Schedule SE:

To use this method, you must also be regularly self-employed. You meet this requirement if your actual net earnings from self-employment were $400 or more in 2 of the 3 years before the year you use the nonfarm optional method. The net earnings of $400 or more could be from either farm or nonfarm earnings, or both. The net earnings include your distributive share of partnership income or loss subject to SE tax.

[Bolding mine.]

Thank you so much! Taxes are so confusing and it’s nice to know that sometimes what is simple actually is what it seems. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies