Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

damtech1

Can I deduct the Cobra health payments that my wife has for us from her previous employer as a self employed LLC member?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I deduct the Cobra health payments that my wife has for us from her previous employer as a self employed LLC member?

I had the same question as I also have Cobra from my previous employer.

I am currently self-employed. Cobra health insurance is considered employer sponsored and thus was INELIGIBLE for self-employment health insurance deduction. It is unfortunate because it is costly.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Mogadishu is correct.  COBRA health insurance premiums paid out-of-pocket are not eligible for the self-employed insurance deduction as the plan is still under your former employer’s name. However, you can claim the premiums as medical expenses on Schedule A if they exceed 7.5 percent of your AGI.  This deduction is only available if you itemize your deductions and only if your total itemized deductions are higher than the standard deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies