turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Calculation of self employed health insurance deduction

I am having problems with the calculation of my self-employed health insurance deduction again this year.  According to Turbo Tax, my  PTC results in the addition of $8932 to my taxes.  This is consistent with the Ferguson calculator.  The problem arises with the calculation of the deduction.  I actually paid $11623 in premiums during the year.  The addition of the $8932 that I will have to pay would result in a deduction of $20555 which is consistent with the Ferguson calculator, however the amount that TurboTax has calculated is $8591.  Huh??  I can't remove, override, or otherwise change this amount.  I've tried removing the 1095-A forms from the form list and this number still does not disappear.  How can I change it?   I even updated my software but that didn't change anything.

If there are any Turbo Tax employees out there, I have created a diagnostic file.  The token # is 1215360.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Calculation of self employed health insurance deduction

Your self-employed tax deduction can't be more than your business net income less half of your self-employment tax.   The remainder of the premiums can be deducted on Schedule A if you itemize.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies