turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended tax 2022 - which forms to mail?

Hello

I have TurboTax Deluxe 2022 desktop (Mac) and I created an amended tax return. It's actually a second amendment, the first one was done last year and was submitted electronically. However, this new amendment requires me to mail in the forms as the eFile window has closed. The problem is that the generated PDF is 130 pages longs and I don't know which forms I should mail (federal and NY state). The only change was to add my contribution to the Solo 401K (both employee and employer). There is no option in the print section to only choose what is required, it prints the entire thing. Would you be able to tell me which forms I need for both state and federal? I assume, it would be 1040X and Schedule 1, and probably form IT-201-X for the state. But I am not sure if this is all that I need to mail. Please help. Many thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

For federal tax return, in addition to the Form 1040-X, you need to mail the forms that changed.  That would include Form 1040 and Schedule 1 (Form 1040).  

For New York, according to the New York Department of Taxation and Finance:

Complete your amended return as if you are filing the return for the first time.

Submit all the forms relevant to the information in your amended return (even if you already submitted these forms with your original return), such as:

• forms for any credits you are claiming or amending,
  • forms you submitted as attachments to your original return that are still applicable (for example, IT-196, IT-227, IT-558, IT-201-ATT, or IT-203-ATT), and
  • all your wage and tax statements, such as Form IT-2.

Do not submit a copy of your original Form IT-201, IT-203, or IT-195.

See the instructions for Form IT-201-X or IT-203-X for additional information about what to submit with your amended return. 

You need to include a copy of your Federal Form 1040-X and all the supporting forms and schedules you submit to the IRS with it.

For additional information on filing your amended New York return, click on the following link:  How to change or amend a filed New York return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

For federal tax return, in addition to the Form 1040-X, you need to mail the forms that changed.  That would include Form 1040 and Schedule 1 (Form 1040).  

For New York, according to the New York Department of Taxation and Finance:

Complete your amended return as if you are filing the return for the first time.

Submit all the forms relevant to the information in your amended return (even if you already submitted these forms with your original return), such as:

• forms for any credits you are claiming or amending,
  • forms you submitted as attachments to your original return that are still applicable (for example, IT-196, IT-227, IT-558, IT-201-ATT, or IT-203-ATT), and
  • all your wage and tax statements, such as Form IT-2.

Do not submit a copy of your original Form IT-201, IT-203, or IT-195.

See the instructions for Form IT-201-X or IT-203-X for additional information about what to submit with your amended return. 

You need to include a copy of your Federal Form 1040-X and all the supporting forms and schedules you submit to the IRS with it.

For additional information on filing your amended New York return, click on the following link:  How to change or amend a filed New York return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much @DavidD66 !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies