Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

daanabka
Returning Member

2% Shareholder and HSA

I became a 2% shareholder in an S Corporation this year.  We have a HDHP and I contributed to my HSA.  In previous years (pre-2% shareholder), the HSA contribution was shown in Box 12W since it was taken out pre-tax.  In 2023, the HSA contributions were taken out post-tax on my paycheck, but my W-2 still shows the amount in Box 12W.   Should this amount be shown in Box 12W?  If so, how would I be able to reduce my gross earnings by that amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

2% Shareholder and HSA

If the amount is shown in 12W then it is saying that it has already been deducted from your income.  It is shown on the return after that but you don't get a deduction for it.  So the W2 is correct this year.  It sounds like it was incorrect in prior years, however.  You may want to look into that.

@daanabka 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
daanabka
Returning Member

2% Shareholder and HSA

On my W-2, the gross income has only been reduced by my 401(k) contribution.  The HSA contributions were withheld post tax on my pay check statements.  Therefore, I believe that the HSA contributions should NOT be shown on box 12W.  Would you agree?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

2% Shareholder and HSA

If the box 12 entry on your W-2 shows code "W" then it would be incorrect, as that would indicate that you had company contributions to your HSA account.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies