Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

khenry51

1099-nec

I received a 1099-NEC for a settlement in a civil case and I think it should have been a 1099-MISC as non of the requirements for a 1099-NEC apply.  Even if I get the NEC replaced with a MISC, the settlement says it is for fees and costs incurred by me in the litigation.  IMO, it would be reimbursement of money already spent using after tax money  so should not be taxable (again) correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

1099-nec

1. Go to federal>income and expenses>all income>>show more 
  2. Go to other common income> StartForm 1099-NEC>Start
  3. The first screen will ask for a description.  Here indicate this is for a legal settlement. 
  4. Next screen. Does one of these uncommon situations apply? Indicate this is from  sporadic activity or hobby (this is not common).
  5. Finish the section
  6. This will now be listed as other income but will not be classified as Self-Employment income nor will you be charged FICA taxes.
khenry51

1099-nec

Thanks, just want to make sure here that this is taxable income even though it was for reimbursement 

of costs and fees that were already paid for, not for new income.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

1099-nec

The problem is that legal fees associated with a civil case are not usually deductible. I believe the only time they would be deductible is in the case of a discrimination case. So the money you received is taxable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies