Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Guwei6263
Returning Member

1099-NEC but not self employed

Hi, I am ready to e-file my federal income tax. I owe the tax. I like to provide my account number to allow IRS to deduct my payment due from my account. But, I was not asked to provide my account number. Instead my final tax in pdf format shows Form 1040-v Payment Voucher. Is that meaning I have to mail a check along with this voucher to IRS?

Guwei6263
Returning Member

Hi, can you help me to answer this question in TurboTax @JulieS ?

Do you want to take QBI safe harbor?

1. No

2. Yes, for xxx property only

3. Yes, for an enterprise that includes xxx property 

between 2 & 3 how to choose the answer?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

@Guwei6263

If you have combined several properties into an "enterprise" in previous questions, then you would choose answer 3. This is not common. Most taxpayers would choose #2, for this property only. The enterprise option rarely affects your taxes unless you are a real estate professional.

Also, when you begin the process to e-file your return, TurboTax will ask you how you wish to pay your taxes. You can enter your banking info at that point. Otherwise, you can mail a check with Form 1040-V no later than midnight on the filing deadline.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Grumpy222

I received a 1099 NEC for $701.89

how do I report this?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

You can enter the 1099-NEC this way if it was not received for self-employment

1. Wages & Income
  2. Other Common Income
  3. Select Income from a 1099-NEC
  4. Enter the payer's name
  5. EIN Number
  6. Amount you received
  7. Describe the reason for this 1099-NEC = State what it was for
  8. Does one of these uncommon situations apply?
  9. Click This is not money earned as an employee or self-employed individual, 

I have a similar situation, but somewhat different. I receive payment each month of $1650 for a company I work for. It is virtual work and I score assignments and support teachers in a credential program. I was paid with a1099-NEC but I’m not self employed. I didn’t think that “hobby or sporadic” applied to my situation since it is ongoing. I signed a document that indicates I may be considered an independent contractor. Am I then considered self employed?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes

Independent contractor is the same as self-employed. 

Dsaxon

I received a 1099-NEC.  We had to have our rental property cerfied as lead safe and there was a program that had moeny to reimburse you up to 500 per unit.  We got $1000 reimbursed through the program this should be really an income to offset part of the expense we incurred to have the home tested and certified.  I am using Turbo Tax Premeir and cannot figure out where to enter this in the rental section.  This is all I need to get this return finished.  I originally put it in as income when I went through the income section for wages 1099 etc, but it keeps giving me all the error since I said it is not selling things.  I believe it should be removed from the personal income section and put against the rental but I can't figure out how to put it in there.  I see on the sch C section it does ask if you have a 1099 NEC but not in the rental & royality

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You need to enter this as Cash, checks, and electronic payments in the Rental section in TurboTax.  Also, be sure you have included the expenses you paid for the certification with your other rental expenses.

To enter the payment in TurboTax Online you can follow these steps:

1. Within your tax return, click Wages & Income in the black menu bar on the left, then Edit/Add for Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)
  2. Click Edit for the property you want to add the income to
  3. If you have only reported income from other 1099s, click Add Income on the Here's XXX rental property info screen
    • If you have the line Cash, checks, and electronic payments already showing, you can click Edit and increase the amount by the $1,000 you were reimbursed
  4. Select Cash, checks, and electronic payments and Continue
  5. Enter the $1,000 you received and Continue

@Dsaxon 

Dsaxon

Thank you for your help this took care of the errors I was getting 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies