turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1065 K-1 Box 20 AJ Code

Hello,

I am currently working on my tax on Turbo Tax Windows version.  We paid an accountant to issue us the 1065 K-1 partnership for 2023. In box 20, it is shown code AJ with STMT, which refers us to the Supplemental Information, page 2. In the descriptive information, there are 2 AJ codes listed with 2 different amounts:

AJ  Aggregate Business Activity Gross Income         $10,000.

AJ  Aggregate Business Activity Total Deductions   $      800.

When input this data into turbo tax for box 20, do we list these 2 AJ codes separately per line into the system? exactly as listed?

Thank you for your input!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

72 Replies

1065 K-1 Box 20 AJ Code

Please let me know if you get this figured out. I’m having the exact same issue.

ray2ray

1065 K-1 Box 20 AJ Code

Same exact issue.  I hope they post an official "Correct" answer to this soon.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

1065 K-1 Box 20 AJ Code

To be accurate, you should enter Box 20 Code AJ twice - once for Gross Income and again for Total Deductions.

Note, however, that this information will be used only if your net losses from all businesses are more than $289,000 ($578,000 if filing a joint return). 

See also: 

@siraseranant 

@Lalo86 

@ray2ray 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1065 K-1 Box 20 AJ Code

IMG_2464.jpeg

Still get this gasification page after I enter it twice. Really need help with this. @PatriciaV

1065 K-1 Box 20 AJ Code

@Lalo86  I am having the same issue.  I have spent several hours on trying to figure out what I was missing.  Have you had any luck?  

1065 K-1 Box 20 AJ Code

I spent about an hour on a chat with a “tax expert” and then they finally needed to transfer me to a business “tax expert” more familiar with the k-1’s. I allowed them access to my k-1’s, in order for them to try and find a work around. Still waiting for an answer from the Business Tax Expert. When I get one I’ll try and pass it along. @kmadsen12 

1065 K-1 Box 20 AJ Code

Hey @kmadsen12  it looks like turbo tax is aware of the issue now, and working to resolve it. Found a page you can sign up for updates regarding this issue on turbo tax. I believe if you search the question in the picture it’ll come up, and you can sign up for updates. Hope this helps 🙂

IMG_2474.png

1065 K-1 Box 20 AJ Code

On the AJ code with suggestion to enter twice: once for Gross Income and again for Total Deductions.

The AJ option does not distinguish between these two which would seem to be necessary for proper allocation should you meet any criteria for them to take effect.

Is this an open issue that Intuit is aware of or an unimportant detail or ???

Thanks

1065 K-1 Box 20 AJ Code

Same issue.

Do we enter AJ twice for each value?

Do we put both numbers as positive? Or one as negative? How does TurboTax know what the difference between these two are?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

1065 K-1 Box 20 AJ Code

The entry and handling of Schedule K-1 Box 20 Code AJ will be updated as referenced in the TurboTax FAQ Why am I receiving an error in TurboTax for Schedule K-1 Box 20 when code AJ is selected? The estimated release date is March 7, 2024

Because updates are released after business hours Pacific time, we recommend waiting until the day after, updating TurboTax (if using Desktop), then try entering Schedule K-1 again.

1065 K-1 Box 20 AJ Code

Thanks for the update about the bug fix-- just to clarify, will the new release include guidance on how to denote the different descriptions of values entered under code AJ?

1065 K-1 Box 20 AJ Code

Should we enter the deductions as a negative number?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

1065 K-1 Box 20 AJ Code

No. Please see Why am I receiving an error in TurboTax for Schedule K-1 Box 20 when code AJ is selected?

@tbhicks999 

1065 K-1 Box 20 AJ Code

There are two issues for box AJ. Can I get confirmation which will be fixed in the patch?

1) AJ is not able to determine Gross Income vs Total Deductions. K-1s this year have both as a statement for that box. We need guidance on where to put Gross income and Gross Deductions in the box.
2) Filling out AJ produces a gasification error.

Please advise which is being fixed: Both, or issue 1, or issue 2. I'm pretty close to paying my business accountant to do this, because I'm losing trust in Intuit's ability to handle new tax code.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies