Quiere decir: 
turbotax icon
cancelar
Mostrando los resultados de 
Buscar en lugar de 
Quiere decir: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Siskiyou

Re: Can I prorate capital gains if we lived in a place for less than 2 years, rented for 4 years? We converted it into rental property when I was transferred by my company to the US.

26 U.S. Code § 121 - Exclusion of gain from sale of principal residence

(C) Period of nonqualified use For purposes of this paragraph—

(i) In general

The term “period of nonqualified use” means any period (other than the portion of any period preceding January 1, 2009) during which the property is not used as the principal residence of the taxpayer or the taxpayer’s spouse or former spouse.

(ii) Exceptions

The term “period of nonqualified use” does not include—

(I) any portion of the 5-year period described in subsection (a) which is after the last date that such property is used as the principal residence of the taxpayer or the taxpayer's spouse,

(II) any period (not to exceed an aggregate period of 10 years) during which the taxpayer or the taxpayer's spouse is serving on qualified official extended duty (as defined in subsection (d)(9)(C)) described in clause (i) , (ii), or (iii) of subsection (d)(9)(A) , and

(III) any other period of temporary absence (not to exceed an aggregate period of 2 years) due to change of employment, health conditions, or such other unforeseen circumstances as may be
specified by the Secretary

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 RESPUESTA 1

Re: Can I prorate capital gains if we lived in a place for less than 2 years, rented for 4 years? We converted it into rental property when I was transferred by my company to the US.

Can you give more details?  When did you live in the property?  When did you rent the property?  When did you find out your job was transferred?  Is your property in the US?  You said you were transferred TO the US (does that mean you were outside of the US before that)?

The more details you can provide, the more likely somebody can give you a good answer, so please give as much detail as possible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies