turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Student loans

Basically my entire debt is 30,000$ in student loans. That’s next to impossible to pay off and will basically always be on there. What can I do if anything?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Student loans

Your student loan is probably federally backed, meaning you cannot do ANYTHING about this but pay it back. The ONLY nice thing about student loans is they have payment plans that slide up and down based on your income or financial situation. You technically COULD just pay the interest on this loan for the rest of your life, but that's just a terrible idea. Either way you can't bankruptcy this debt away, and you can't just ignore it and let it go into default because they will garnish your wages and take your tax returns, and this default will never go off your credit until you pay back the loan. 

I'm paying back mine, I'm down to $8,000 and will be glad when it's gone. Student loans are going to ruin the economic future of this country if we keep going down this path. 

Student loans

Have you considered refinancing your student loans with terms that work better for you? Check out the Student Loan section on Turbo app for suggestions!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies