turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Student loan debt

Hello,

this seems to be a tricky subject I can’t seem to find help on and was wondering if anyone could help.  I am in roughly 80k of student loan debt.  I pay a couple hundred a month what I can but I still keep gaining interest on it.  I’m not entirely sure how to put any sort of debt in this as it continues to grow.   Is there any way I can start putting any sort of dent in this? Is there some sort of different loan that can break it up to pay off the smaller loans first or because it’s a bunch of smaller loans put into one I’m basically stuck paying this the rest of my life?  Thank you in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loan debt

Student loan debt

when did you take out the loan? (what year).  

who lent the money to you? (private Bank loan or a 'direct loan' from the federal government)

let's start there. 

Student loan debt

My first student loan was taken out in 2007 and when I graduated around 2015 that’s when the monthly payments started.  The loans are currently through Navient via a direct loan.  It’s multiple loans that they force me to pay as one lump sum.  I believe 13 smaller loans ranging from $500-$13000.  I appreciate everyone taking the time to even answer it means a lot. Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies