turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MommaOf02

Collection debt

I have multiple different accounts in collections ranging from $200 to $10,000. What debt should I start paying off first? Should I make small amounts to my largest debt or payoff the smaller debts? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Collection debt

there is always a debate about this

some say pay off the smaller ones - you'll feel better there are less bills / calls coming at you

others say, stack them in order of interest rate and pay down the ones with the highest balance first - that saves money over time. 

Collection debt

If they are in collections it’s likely a debt buyer has purchased your debt. They buy the debt you have for pennies on the dollar so your 10,000$ debt might only be 3 grand to them. You can always call the collection agency and ask “Hey, I know the debt is 200$ but can we settle and I send you a check in the mail for 100$? They’d rather have some money than no money I a lot of cases. DO NOT, let them take it out of your account. Only send them a cashiers check or money order. If you give them access to your account you could end up with them taking more than they should.

Take an hour and watch the last week tonight episode on YouTube about debt buyers and check out Dave Ramsey’s YouTube videos about dealing with collections agencies. Best of luck to you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies