Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Home Office Deduction

Can someone please educate me on how to file form 8829? To my knowledge, it would be filed with my personal tax return. I have a DBA and EIN and would like to use the home office deduction to set up an office in a new apartment to establish my business. The amount of rent paid in the previous year equals $17,307.  Will this expense be written off in total and credited to me? How much money will this deduction save me? How will this deduction help me save on my monthly rental payments for the upcoming year? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Home Office Deduction

You can deduct your apartment expenses based on the portion of your apartment that you use exclusively and regularly for the business, assuming you don't have another office elsewhere. It is a deduction from your business income, not a tax credit, so it may reduce your business income base on which your taxes are calculated, but it will not reduce your tax directly.

So, none of your rent will be credited to you but it may reduce your taxes. As an example, if you used exclusively 25% of your apartment for the business, you would reduce your business income by $4,327 (17,307 rent times 25%). If you pay income and self-employment tax at a combined rate of 27%, the home office would save you up to $1,168 on your federal income tax (4,327 X 27%).

The deduction is limited in the current year to the net income of the business, but any unused deduction can be carried over to future years. 

When you prepare your tax return in TurboTax, you will see an option in the business deductions section to enter your home business expenses and qualifying information. That will flow to form 8829.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies