turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When starting with a REIT does it make sense to use a business?

I am planning to invest in a REIT and as a current business owner, I know the benefits of having a business and using deductions and expenses.  Would the dividends from the REIT count as business income that could go towards business expenses if created under the LLC? My LLC is a single LLC. Otherwise, would it make sense to just use my SSN and claim it as regular income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

@maschhoff55 wrote:
 Otherwise, would it make sense to just use my SSN and claim it as regular income?

It actually makes no difference since a single-member LLC (without an election to be treated as a corporation) is disregarded for federal income tax purposes.

Investing in a REIT will generate investment (portfolio) income (dividends), not business income.

daxers3
Returning Member

I think its time to invest into blockchain. I am fan of mining simualtors like crypto games  Another blockchain advantage, and at the same time something that modern games lack, istransparency. To successfully complete missions, gamers need to buy various kinds of resources, such as equipment, cars, swords, and tanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies