turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ebarwick
Returning Member

Wash sale: How do I deal with "1456 days added to holding period."

I have several Long Term transactions on form 8949, Part III, Box D checked. A few transactions include "Wash sale: 1456 days added to holding period." What do I do with this info?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
mrwzrd26

I have the same problem only I have 45 of them, most are long term covered but a few are short term covered.  My problem is that if I don't factor in the "days added to holding period," some of my long terms are actually short term so I'm thinking of changing my acquired date to "Various" which TurboTax will allow me to do.  I just don't know if I want to raise the red flag by checking the box on the next screen that says my "acquired date is wrong" because that will check a box on one of my tax forms.  The date isn't really "wrong," it's just incomplete.  The way it was explained to me is that if you add the number of "days added to holding period" to the "acquired date" listed on your 1099, then that is the day the security was "originally purchased."  Then, somewhere within 30 days of the "date acquired" on the 1099, the security was sold off then repurchased on the "date acquired" which triggered the "wash sale" so you can't deduct the loss.  I talked with my financial adviser who works for the firm that generated the 1099 info to find out why this would happen and he couldn't tell me much other than it had to do with when the account was rebalanced and possible volatility in the market.  If anyone else has a better idea for this situation, please post it! I can't figure out any other way around it because I definitely don't want my long term transactions showing a holding period of less than one year.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  We are currently working to resolve this issue.  If you would like to receive an update for the progress, click on the following link to get notified:

Acquired date

Any asset you hold for one year or less at the time of sale is considered “short term” by the IRS.  Capital assets that you hold for more than one year and then sell are classified as long-term on Schedule D and Form 8949. 

The net gain or loss from you Form 1099-B will show on line 4 of Schedule 1 and line 7 of Form 1040.  For more information, click here: 1099-B

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies