turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jslaterr

Short Term Capital Gains

Hello,

This may seem a ignorant question but I really need help. I am a 19 year old college student who does not much know about taxes or claiming investments. I recently made an investment through a fellow stock investor and I am set to receive an estimated $60,000. I have never filed for taxes and know nothing about  these kind of things. I am unemployed since I am a full time student but I am just curious to what I am going to claim this investment I receive back as. How much am I going to be taxed? Since I don't work, what am I going to claim as? Someone please help guide me in the right direction thank you so much!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Short Term Capital Gains

@jslaterr wrote:

I recently made an investment through a fellow stock investor and I am set to receive an estimated $60,000. 

Two questions:

1) What do you mean by "made an investment through a fellow stock investor"? Most people make investments through licensed securities dealers (i.e., stock brokers and the firms with which they are associated).

2) How much did you invest? $60,000 seems like a huge return in less than a year, particularly for a 19 year old college student, unless you also made a huge investment (like, for example, $50,000).

One point:

1) Make SURE you are NOT getting scammed in some way, shape or form. The scenario you laid out does not pass the smell test.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies