Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sal221
Returning Member

Real estate investment question

I need help in figuring out how to enter income received from a real estate investment. I entered into a contract with a home builder in which I up fronted capital to purchase land and build a new home. My only involvement was up fronting the money. The Land lot nor the construction loan was under my name. After 15 months when the project was completed and the home sold, the builder cut me a check for the money I upfronted and half of the profit made from the sale of the home. I did not receive any 1099 forms. How would I enter this income into turbotax. I consider it a long term capital gain investment due to the project having taken 15 months from day I entered into the contract and the date the new home was sold, but I cannot figure out how to enter into Turbotax as all applicable investment sections require a 1099-b or 1099-s. Any guidance provided will be appreciated. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Real estate investment question

You can enter the sale of property or other investments not listed on a Form 1099-B or other information return in TurboTax as follows:

• Go to the Investment income section and select Stocks,... Other
  • Select Add a sale or Add Investments
  • If using TurboTax Online, at the import screen, click the button "Enter a different way"
  • Select Other as the type of investment

TurboTax will provide entry fields for you to describe the investment, the date acquired and date sold, the proceeds, and the cost or other basis.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies