turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wwwmixer

Is this considered a wash sale? I sold shares of a stock that I purchased at different times prior to the sale.

On Jan 15, I bought 100 shares of a stock at $11.50 for a total of $1,150.  

On Feb 25, I bought 100 more shares of the same stock at $10.50 for a total of $1,050.

On Mar 10, I sold all 200 of these shares at $9.50 for a total of $1,950, a loss of $250.

Is the loss from the 100 shares bought in January considered a deductible tax loss since these shares were bought over 30 days prior to the sale? And therefore only the 100 shares bought in February would be a wash sale?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Is this considered a wash sale? I sold shares of a stock that I purchased at different times prior to the sale.

You are correct, only the loss on the 100 shares purchased in February would be considered a "wash sale".

The wash-sale rule prohibits selling an investment for a loss and replacing it with the same or a "substantially identical" investment 30 days before or after the sale.

You sold all your shares on March 10, so any substantially identical purchase made 30 days before or after that date would create a "wash sale" situation. Your loss on shares purchase in January would not be disallowed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies