Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mstrobel7
Returning Member

I own a company ESOP shares in my 401k, there is an option for an election of the dividend

Hi,

I buy into my company's ESOP in my 401k.  As of now, the dividends re-invest in my ESOP.  However, there is an option to be paid in the dividend directly and states that it is taxed as normal income(even though it is still in the 401k), i.e. that is no penalty.

Why is this taxed as normal income and not under capital gains for the dividend?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I own a company ESOP shares in my 401k, there is an option for an election of the dividend

I think you mean you get the dividends paid to you from the 401-K plan so it is considered a distribution. If so, then it will be taxed as ordinary income because all distributions from a 401-K plan are taxed as ordinary income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mstrobel7
Returning Member

Thanks for the follow up.  Yes, it looks like if I elected for the distribution I take the dividend as income from my 401k even though I'm still working(I guess it is something special about the ESOP?).  

If I get the distribution from my Roth 401k at 59 and 1/2 having held the Roth 401k for 5+ years, would I then receive the distribution tax free?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies