Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm wondering why I spent extra on TurboTax Premier, when apparently TurboTax Online has features Premier does not?

I purchased Premier because it is specifically promoted as having enhanced features for investments. Yet, now I find out that while one can input cryptocurrency sales as capital gains taxable events in the online version, there is no such option in premier. Setting aside the minor quibble that cryptocurrency is treated as property rather than as an investment per se, it would seem I've been shortchanged in available features. For that matter, you enter crypto in the online version  apparently as follows:

1. Select Federal from the left menu, and Wages & Income from the menu near the top.
  2. Scroll down and select Show more next to Investment Income.
  3. Select Start or Revisit next to Cryptocurrency.

So quite clearly, the online version handles it under Investment Income - precisely what Turbotax Premier is supposed to be ideal for.

This is, to put it mildly, frustrating.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I'm wondering why I spent extra on TurboTax Premier, when apparently TurboTax Online has features Premier does not?

Premier is a level of TurboTax available online. 

Unless the features are identical, and unless a desktop user can freely switch between online or desktop without additional fees, it doesn't really respond to the issue. There's really no excuse for the desktop application lacking features - material features, not UI/UX and other ancillary specifics, but instead actual filing features - compared to the online version.

Is there a Premier that is not as good as the online Premier?  

In recent years I've only bought the online TurboTax Self-Employed version. I haven't compared it to the Desktop version.  I used the Desktop version long ago.

I can find no evidence that I can use either the desktop or the online version with only one purchase. Since I already own Premier desktop, I'm not going to double pay in order to get this one feature that's absent from the desktop version.

I prefer to keep all my tax documents under my control, on my local computer with my own security measures in place. Intuit has a good track record for security since the vulnerabilities that were discovered back in 2001 and 2007; nevertheless, I prefer managing my own security.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies