Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Government Money market fund dividends commingled with others on Form 1099-DIV. Should I separate them out?

Form 1099-DIV from Fidelity seems to have commingled dividends from companies as well as their government money market fund.

As I am entering the data from the form, I am not asking myself if I should separate these out? Aren't US government debt payments considered tax free at State level? If I just enter the entire dividend amount (including the money market dividends), then they will be calculated as taxable at the State level.

Feels like Fidelity made a mess out of this. Appreciate any advice.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
alexa09

Government Money market fund dividends commingled with others on Form 1099-DIV. Should I separate them out?

Is it possible to report the total amount of dividends from companies in the taxable dividend bracket on your tax return?

To my knowledge, all brokers compile the dividend payments together on your 1099-DIV and never separate out the state/local tax-free portions attributed to income received from USGov obligations. Here is a fantastic resource to consult which will give guidance on how to fix this issue - but you have to manually do the work. In my experience, it is well worth the effort and very easy to rectify in Turbotax:

https://thefinancebuff.com/state-tax-exempt-treasury-fund-etf.html 

The notes on your 1099 will have a breakdown of each fund's dividends and the link below shows each state's non-taxable percentage of total dividends. The only portion not taxable at the state level is the portion earned in your state (some states are different but this is generally how they are taxed). https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/060_www_fidelity_com/documents/TY23-GSE-Supplemental-Letter.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies