Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

crysntns
Returning Member

Brokerage company requested more info about my W8-BEN and made withhold backup under W9

Hi! I'm a non-US resident, only visit the country as tourist some weeks per quarter. I hold a US bank account and a phone number. Opened a brokerage account to buy stocks/fixed income but the brokerage company invalidated my W8-BEN and requested additional forms showing that I'm not a US resident and qualify to W8-BEN. Meanwhile they made a backup withhold of 24% in all my operation under W9 form. Now they approved my W8-BEN and stoped backup withholding on capital gains. My question is: how do I get a refund from IRS of the amount they withheld under W9? I asked them to refund it but they said that's not possible because the amount is already sent to IRS.

Thanks for your attention!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

Brokerage company requested more info about my W8-BEN and made withhold backup under W9

You need to file Form 1040-NR to claim the refund. TurboTax does not support the form but you can use the partner site to file it. Please read more about it here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies