Solved: AT Risk or Not at Risk

AT Risk or Not at Risk

I invest in Energy Transfer Partners LP .  Is my investment At Risk or Not At Risk for income tax purposes ?

AT Risk or Not at Risk

Yes, you are 'at risk' if you could lose your money and/or property that you put into a business (Limited Partnership).

Amounts not at risk include nonrecourse financing, or guarantees or agreements that limit the losses of the taxpayer. 

Additional info: IRS Form 6198 At-Risk Limitations

AT Risk or Not at Risk

AT Risk or Not at Risk

The only way I invested in Energy Partners Lp is by purchasing what they call units which is like buying common stock in a publicly traded company . Is my investment then still At Risk or then Not At Risk ? I did not buy into Energy Partners LP directly.

AT Risk or Not at Risk

In very simplified terms, you are at risk for the amount you invested.  Publicly Traded Partnership?  Treated as a corporation under IRC Section 7704?

Also, if there is a loss, you may not be able to deduct the loss because of passive activity rules.

Link to Pub 925...At risk limits begin on page 12

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p925.pdf

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**