Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2019 I had an investment loss ~1000.00 2020 turbo tax shows the loss in 2019 and I have no loss in 2020. When I do federal check,

I sold investments in 2019 and had $1000.00 loss based on 2019 1099-B forms.

In 2020 I had no 1099-B. 

In 2020 TurboTax premier, I get an error when running the federal check.  When I look at Investment income, it shows 2019 loss and zero for 2020.  When I click on "Update", there is a line containing no financial institution name and values of zero for Gross Proceeds and Gain/Loss.  I also see it shows "YES" under needs info.

When I edit the line item, it shows "Untitled" and no gross proceeds.

Why did this occur and how should I resolve this.   If I delete this entry then I am able to proceed.  Is this the proper resolution ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

2019 I had an investment loss ~1000.00 2020 turbo tax shows the loss in 2019 and I have no loss in 2020. When I do federal check,

The form 1099-B that you entered in 2019 got carried over to 2020. This is common, as you often have investment sales from the same broker from year to year, so TurboTax carries over the 1099-B so you don't have to re-enter it each year. You should delete the form since you don't have any activity for it this year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The form 1099-B that you entered in 2019 got carried over to 2020. This is common, as you often have investment sales from the same broker from year to year, so TurboTax carries over the 1099-B so you don't have to re-enter it each year. You should delete the form since you don't have any activity for it this year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your response.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies