Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social Security Retirement Income & LLC Business Profits

I'm collecting SSI Retirement Income and own a brick and mortar business i.e. flower shop.

Last year for 2020, I paid myself as a W-2 wage earner $16,150.  The business made on Schedule 1, Line 3

$ 29,435.  Social Security Administration added the business income to my personal income W-2 and states they overpaid SSI Retirement Income by $9000 +.  SSA states this is an Overpayment.

This profit is working capital for the business, it was not taken out of the business.  

Do I owe this back to SSA or did they error in asking for an overpayment.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
OpeA1
Employee Tax Expert

The SSA deals with overpayment is several different ways. Please find more information in the link to the SSA following. https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-overpay-ussi.htm 

Here are the various ways they state to deal with overpayments: 

"WHAT WILL WE DO IF THERE IS AN OVERPAYMENT?

We will send you a notice explaining the overpayment and asking for a full refund within 30 days.  If you are currently getting payments and you do not make a full refund, the notice will:

• propose to withhold the overpayment at the rate of the lesser of 10 percent or the entire monthly payment; 
  • state the month the proposed withholding will start;
  • fully explain your appeal rights;
  • explain how you can ask us to review and waive the overpayment, so you may not have to pay it back; and
  • explain how you can appeal our decision."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You didn’t answer the question.  I don’t need help in figuring out how to pay it.  I have already made an appeal and it is in Review Status.  What is your opinion, do I owe it?

Donna F 77
Employee Tax Expert

When you say you paid yourself as a W-2 wage earner, there is some confusion.  A sole proprietor cannot pay themselves W-2 wages. 
In regards to the business income flowing to your Schedule 1 from Schedule C, it is definitely income to you and should be included as income for purposes of the SSA calculating your benefits.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies