Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Book Royaties

I get royalties from the publisher for books I have written. Can I deduct travel expenses for speaking I do to promote those books? If so, do I report that on schedule C, even though I have no income from a 1099? If not, where can I report those work related expenses to promote the sale of the book. If my expenses exceed royalties in a given year, can I still deduct them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Michele_H
Employee Tax Expert

Book Royaties

Hi @dick16 

Here is some information related to royalty income and expenses.

Royalties can generally be described as payments you receive for the use of your property, that are based in some way on the number of units sold.

The two types of royalties most commonly encountered are:

• royalties for the use of copyrights, trademarks, and patents
  • royalties from the extraction of oil, gas, or minerals from your property.

However, other types of royalties are possible, such as those paid for the use of a name, the sale of products using certain proprietary processes, etc. In most cases, income and deductions related to your royalties are generally reported on Schedule E, Supplemental Income and Loss.

However, If you are in business as a self-employed artist, author, photographer or inventor, and the royalties relate to a self-created copyright, trademark, or patent, you would report the payments as part of your business income on Schedule C.

Similarly, if you hold an operating oil, gas, or mineral interest in land, you would report your gross income and expenses on Schedule C or C-EZ. Numerous special rules apply to the ownership and taxation of mineral property.

For more information, please review Publication 17 and Schedule E Instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies