Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TimothyPowers13
Returning Member

What cards do i qualify for

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I would like to apply for a credit card for low credit score to help me build up my credit

Just be cautious when applying, as I'm sure you know, that inquiries, which is when your credit is pulled during the application process, can range from slightly to severely damaging depending on how many accounts are on your report, how old the accounts are, what percentage of your limit you are using, and your payment history on those accounts. So if you're new to credit, and don't have any established, it's never a good start to lead with a fault I  a series of inquiries and no accounts. 

The only guarantee you have coming into this is a secured card. Use it a few months and they will refund your deposit and then increase your limit. Six months with a secured card at thirty percent utilization and on time payments--if you can be patient and just follow the template for success--then your score should jump over a hundred points just from that. Don't let your first credit account be from a predatory lender with high interest, yearly fees, use fees, limit increase fees, all kinds of sh*t you don't consider when applying to anywhere who will accept. 

Capital One and Discover are common. Consider a secured loan through your bank if you have one. Just plan on keeping this first account open a long time to boost your credit age, which is a major part of your score.

Definitely try for capital one! Go check your credit score for free on credit karma and they will recommend the best credit cards you personally can apply for !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies