Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Feb 22, 2021 10:44:15 AM

Hmm, looks like we hit a slight snag in this section - Error on Turbo tax side - I tried everything possible.

I keep getting the "Hmm, looks like we hit a slight snag in this section" error when trying to update the stock section of my income. I spent 40 mins with a representative on the phone. I cleared the cache/cookies, Tried chrome and explorer browsers, Two different computers on two different wifi networks both last week and this week. I have tried everything possible to try on my side so I have determined that this issue is on TurboTax side.

I can access every other page no problem it is just this one page. This is stopping me from filing my taxes in a turbo like fashion and has been a horrible experience as a first time customer. Please help before I hire a tax guy to do this for me.

3 53 7974
24 Replies
Level 2
Feb 27, 2021 6:43:19 PM

I'm facing the exact same issue and it's been like a couple of weeks.  This is very frustrating.   

Intuit Alumni
Feb 27, 2021 7:45:04 PM

If you are having issues and need assistance, please contact customer support. Please see the Customer Support phone number hereIf you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Level 2
Feb 27, 2021 7:48:29 PM

Customer support wasn't able to help.    There seems to be a software issue your developers need to fix.

Level 2
Mar 1, 2021 7:00:35 PM

I really hope this gets resolved soon.   Please escalate to engineering.

Level 2
Mar 1, 2021 9:34:03 PM

We're having the same issue with submitting an amended 2018. Our 2020 filed just fine, as did our 2019 amended. But despite cookie and cache clearance, and changing to a different browser, this is still an issue. And obviously, we're not alone.

Level 2
Mar 2, 2021 5:45:32 AM

Same issue here. Tried multiple browsers. Tried waiting a week. Really think the issue is with TurboTax. I get the same error message "Hmm, looks like we hit a slight snag in this section" then trying to import my Betterment, Schwab, or Robinhood data.

Level 2
Mar 2, 2021 8:57:26 AM
Intuit Alumni
Mar 2, 2021 10:58:50 AM

Thank you for sharing this information. It is our desire to find a resolution for you and others that might be having a similar experience in the program. To assist us in this process, please review your entries in [section of program driving the message].  Some errors are caused by accidental entries.  If that doesn't work, try to delete the form and re-enter, and also [clear cache and cookies/run updates]  However, if this does not resolve your issue, please note the exact message and where you are encountering that message in the program.  We will work with you towards a resolution to file your return accurately.

Level 2
Apr 14, 2021 8:56:26 PM

The problem isn't accidental entries. The problem is TurboTax can't handle large 1099 entries. After upload my 1099-B from Merrill, your site will just time out every time I try to work on it. Have your engineers fix it please. 

Level 10
Apr 15, 2021 7:09:09 PM

You can delete the individual entries and just add a summary of each of the different sales categories.  Your 1099-B should have those groupings. For example "Short-term covered" or "Long-term covered".

1. Open or continue your return and search for stock sales.
  2. Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2020?.
    • If you land on Your investment sales summary, select Add more sales. 
  4. On the OK, what type of investments did you sell? screen, select Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, then Continue.
  5. When asked how you want to enter your 1099-B, select I'll type it myself.
  6. Answer the questions until you can select Enter sales section totals.
  7. You'll now be able to enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Continue.

Level 1
May 12, 2021 10:41:52 PM

I also encountered this error when I tried to file electronically.  The error popped up after I logged into my Intuit account while attempting to pay the efile fee for my state return.  I could not get past the screen verifying my address and other personal information.  When I hit the Continue button, I got the above error.  After several attempts and reading the above responses,  I tried signing in as a guest.  When I signed in as a guest, I was able to enter my personal information and then Continue to the next screen to enter my credit card information and on to efile my return.

Hope this helps.

Level 1
Feb 10, 2022 4:53:52 AM

2022 and same problem.  Why does Turbotax keep disingenuously blaming it on cookies when it’s clearly an issue with them.  I’m going with another company from now on.

Level 2
Feb 10, 2022 4:59:26 AM

The desktop version of the software worked for me last year but not the web version. Sounds like I'll have to use that version again.

Still pretty sad that TurboTax can't get their web version working correctlyaa year later.

Intuit Alumni
Feb 10, 2022 7:28:16 AM

Have you tried clearing your cache?  This may help. Assistance with doing so has been provided by clicking here

Returning Member
Feb 21, 2022 6:20:34 AM

I too am having this problem and THEY don't seem too interested in fixing the problem. I have used the produck for almost 30 years and this is the first problem.

Intuit Alumni
Feb 21, 2022 8:21:27 AM

Thank you for being a loyal customer! Please feel free to contact Customer Support so you can speak with someone who can assist you.

@Larrystewart2

Level 1
Feb 23, 2022 8:13:47 PM

I am having the same issue when trying to fix my 1099B forms that Turbo Tax says I need to review before I can file. Did they ever give you a solution?

Level 1
Mar 4, 2022 6:42:11 AM

Same thing.  Happens when I try to e-file and input my credit card information.  This is a software bug that Turbotax needs to fix.  

Level 1
Mar 4, 2022 6:42:57 AM

agreed  so frustrating.  Been a turbotax customer for 30+ years

Intuit Alumni
Mar 4, 2022 7:56:20 AM

This issue has now been resolved. Please try again. Also if you are still experiencing issues please try and clear your cache. Assistance with doing so has been provided by clicking here

If you are still unable to still process your payment please reach out to us by clicking here

Not applicable
Mar 6, 2022 10:10:42 AM

Same issue here during review.  

Please stop telling folks to clear cache etc, that's not an "Expert" response.  Recognize you have a problem and fix it, like before April 15th so Uncle Sam don't come get us. 

This will be my last year using TT. For $138 it really isn't unreasonable to ask that what amounts to a one time use product to actually  work. 

Intuit Alumni
Mar 6, 2022 10:55:44 AM

@Anonymous

We are unable to see what version you are utilizing, but if you are using the Online version and clearing cache/cookies, does not help, please try another browser or incognito mode.  You can also directly connect to your internet versus using wi-fi.  

If you are utilizing Windows Desktop/Download, please try the steps in this Help Article to manually update your software.  

If you are utilizing Mac Desktop/Download, please try the steps in this Help Article to manually remove and re-install

If none of the above suggestions work, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible. 

Level 2
Mar 13, 2022 4:06:36 PM

Hi,

If we report summary sales to condense large number of sales how do we report wash sale gain/loss?

Level 2
Mar 13, 2022 4:09:17 PM

There's a section that asks for "I need to adjust my total cost basis" right below where you enter the total proceeds and total cost basis: