balerm

How do I fix Microsoft Installer Error 1603?

I can't open turbotax premier 2020 on a Windows 10 laptop with the business edition of Windows 10. On the update page, I get "Microsoft installer error 1603." Even though I manually updated turbotax successfully, turbotax won't open because the update page appears and shows the "microsoft installer error 1603" again. I've tried disabling my antivirus, and that didn't work. I've used turbotax for many years and never had this problem. How do I fix this?

If you have the 2020 Premier edition and the 2020 Business edition installed on the same computer, restart your computer.  After restart the error should be eliminated.

hnshipman-01

Restarting the computer was not any help.

hnshipman-01

I have tried everything that I can find on the website. I have signed in as Administrator, I have the Firewall/virus protection turned off, I looked for .NET Microsoft errors, I did a manual download of the update and installation seemed to go through, but when I try to open the Turbotax program, it asks for updates, and I get the same Microsoft installer error: 1603; so, I cannot open the program. I need to speak with a real customer AGENT!!

AshleyLO

Please contact us using the online form here or calling in so that we can assist you with this matter. 

Shapnup

I have been struggling with a remedy to this issue as well.  I've searched on your site, and YouTube.  My issue is identical to this user's.  I applied the same remedies as this user, and I've experienced a similar result.....cannot install the manually downloaded update. 

I will now be calling in.  

iN-Tu-IT-09

I have an identical situation to hnshipman-01

I even did system restore to before installing TurboTax, did a clean install, and now the clean version is stuck like the last. The updater does not work, returns Microsoft error 1603, and the program does not open. I had used the program and entered all my data, except the details of my wife's drivers license before I e-filed. I was literally 3 minutes away from e-filing, and now I can't open the program. I spent hours the other day entering all that data in the program. This really sucks. Just this year I gave a glowing review on Amazon for this product because I have used it for years. Wow, bruh. Never had to turn off antivirus before. But I did that and it didn't help. Even this year (2020) the updater worked already other days. 

hnshipman-01

I finally had the problem resolved. I am no PC expert, but have always had a PC since 1985. The fix for me was to run a Malware search program, and eight malware infections were found, mostly regarding the registry. Then, we uninstalled the Turbotax program after saving the Tax File, then reinstalling the Turbotax. After that, everything worked perfectly. Good Luck.

Shapnup

I had success and solved this. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling. Here's what I experienced.

I had a very complicated return which I dreaded having to redo due to a failure of TT to apply an update. I finally solved this error after reading on this forum, how others uninstalled and reinstalled the orogram. I called in, and after a lot of back and forth regarding remedies I tried unsuccessfully, I was instructed to delete and reinstall the orogram.

As a precaution, I first located my  my tax file in Windows 10, and saved it in 2 places. I did another manual hard backup of my entire computer. I then uninstalled and reinstalled Turbotax.

Next, I opened the program, registered it (again)  and allowed it to do it's standard update. Next, I initiated a New Return, and the program immediately located and opened my old file! It went seamlessly after that and I efiled quite easily.