Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Feb 27, 2021 3:57:32 PM

Why are my e-file returns rejected?

Still wtg for answer on why my e-file return keeps getting rejected.

0 34 2527
1 Best answer
Level 15
Feb 27, 2021 3:58:32 PM

We can help if you tell us the rejection message/code?

24 Replies
Level 15
Feb 27, 2021 3:58:32 PM

We can help if you tell us the rejection message/code?

Feb 27, 2021 4:01:49 PM

No message-just rejected

Level 15
Feb 27, 2021 4:02:45 PM

@--oldlady wrote:

No message-just rejected

You received an email from TurboTax for the rejected tax return.  What does it say?

Feb 27, 2021 4:03:22 PM

Feel like I'm going around in circles.  Just says rejected on both Federal & State

Level 15
Feb 27, 2021 4:04:26 PM

TT would have sent you an email with the rejection message. Look in your spam email.

But I must ask:  Your screen name makes me wonder if you filed a return that listed only Social Security income, or otherwise zero income. Is that correct?  If so, try adding $1 of interest and then efile it.

Feb 28, 2021 4:50:22 PM

The rejection code we received is IND-031- 04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records.  However, the 2019 AGI submitted as well as the pins agree with our 2019 return.  I also double checked our drivers license info and it was correct as well.  Is there any other reason the return could have been rejected? 

Level 15
Feb 28, 2021 4:51:12 PM

@amcoen588 wrote:

The rejection code we received is IND-031- 04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records.  However, the 2019 AGI submitted as well as the pins agree with our 2019 return.  I also double checked our drivers license info and it was correct as well.  Is there any other reason the return could have been rejected? 

Try entering a 0 (zero) for the 2019 AGI and e-file again.

Returning Member
Mar 2, 2021 8:32:11 AM

I am having the same issue.  Rejected returns for AGI not matching, yet it does match.  I am filing for my parents and aunt having the same issue.  Why would I add zero as the AGI?  That is incorrect value.

Mar 3, 2021 6:58:49 AM

It says that if for 1040 "Primaryclaimasdependent is not checked then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return filed for the same tax year.  Does this mean we cannot claim our daughter on our taxes if she's filing her own taxes?

Level 15
Mar 3, 2021 7:19:48 AM

@kichnwiz wrote:

It says that if for 1040 "Primaryclaimasdependent is not checked then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return filed for the same tax year.  Does this mean we cannot claim our daughter on our taxes if she's filing her own taxes?

Correct, if someone else files a return with the same SS number on their return as on your return and they file first your return will be rejected by the IRS.

If you are able to claim her as your dependent, then she should not have filed a return indicating she was not a dependent.  She needs to amend her return and claim she is a dependent.  You can file your return claiming her as a dependent but you will have to print and mail your tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to print a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online/01/26258

Mar 8, 2021 6:07:15 AM

My Federal return has been rejected twice....code IND-031-04.  I've tried to fix it, but it didn't work.   Can you explain why and help me resolve it ??    Thanks.

Level 15
Mar 8, 2021 6:08:40 AM

@TJB685 wrote:

My Federal return has been rejected twice....code IND-031-04.  I've tried to fix it, but it didn't work.   Can you explain why and help me resolve it ??    Thanks.

Enter a 0 (zero) for the 2019 AGI and e-file the tax return again.

Mar 20, 2021 10:26:01 AM

I have checked my AGI from last year and the amount I have submitted agrees with that number.  I didn't e-file last year so I'm assuming that the pin given to me was one from the past.  With all the info you have to submit to e-file, I'm confused as to why they can't give me a specific reason as to what was wrong with what I entered for this year. 

Intuit Alumni
Mar 20, 2021 10:38:49 AM

Please review the following FAQ: AGI Rejection @jkoch.

Apr 15, 2021 1:28:15 PM

all it tells me is validation failed

Expert Alumni
Apr 15, 2021 3:14:24 PM

This seems to be a Mac Issue. Others have solved this by quitting the TurboTax app, turning computer off, then relaunching. The new update should be installed and then you should be able to e-file.

Level 2
May 8, 2021 9:07:40 AM

I had the same issue and message.  I did not e-file my 2019 return.  Is there something else I should enter for AGI and PIN?

Expert Alumni
May 9, 2021 1:01:09 PM
May 13, 2021 7:27:22 AM

It says the AGI Doesn't match what the IRS has in the data base. I confirmed the number off of last years taxes. It also suggests that the PIN I created doesn't match last years, but I have never E-filed or created a pin

Level 15
May 13, 2021 7:30:47 AM

@cbnelson1  If it was rejected for AGI—-be aware that many 2019 returns took so long for the IRS to process that your 2019 AGI might not be in the IRS system.   Try using zero instead.

If filing with zero is rejected then file again but select the option that you did not file last year.  The IRS does not see that question and it will allow you to e-file with no AGI question.

Or—-if you filed as a “non-filer” just to get the stimulus check on a 2019 return, try using $1 as the AGI.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If that does not work and you still cannot e-file, then print, sign, and mail your tax return.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxvox/are-irs-security-tools-blocking-millions-people-filing-electronically

Level 15
May 13, 2021 7:37:02 AM

@cbnelson1 wrote:

It says the AGI Doesn't match what the IRS has in the data base. I confirmed the number off of last years taxes. It also suggests that the PIN I created doesn't match last years, but I have never E-filed or created a pin

There is a good possibility that the IRS does not have the 2019 AGI for your SS number in their database.

Enter a 0 (zero) for the 2019 AGI and e-file the 2020 tax return again.

May 16, 2021 1:30:38 PM

IDENTY PROTECTION PIN MISSING

May 16, 2021 1:45:36 PM

WHERE DO I ENTER MY ID PIN

Expert Alumni
May 16, 2021 1:53:04 PM

1. Open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for IP PIN (don't forget the space) and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. On the Identity Protection PIN screen, answer Yes and enter your IP PIN in the space provided.
    • If you need to remove the IP PIN, select edit, then the trash icon.
  4. Select Done.

Related Information: