Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:03:53 PM

Turbo tax e-filing fees?

34.99 for bank processing fees and 34.99 for your fees as well? Really? That seems greedy on both your parts since we are talking e-filing and e-transfer. We all know the money is available to the banks much quicker than 21 days...Guess the banks and you win

2 45 8928
24 Replies
Jun 7, 2019 3:03:54 PM

I agree as well. While the state processing fee is, the payment-via-return-fee is not prominently displayed and makes me think that I'll be moving to another provider. I'm not interested in doing business with someone who isn't upfront about cost.

Jun 7, 2019 3:03:56 PM

I agree, this is robbery from the working class. Before I clicked on file the amount said 39.99 . After I click it doubles. I will NEVER use this program again. I work with over 500 people and I will send , post and vocalize how bad this company rips you off. I demand a credit.

Jun 7, 2019 3:03:58 PM

This information not helping me

Jun 7, 2019 3:03:59 PM

last time I did e-filing. turbo tax conveniently forgot to tell me about this fee....maybe last time turbo tax....

Jun 7, 2019 3:04:01 PM

My refund was $2,722, but owed the IRS $2,000....I got a deposit for $96.38 so where is the rest? Did I get charged over $600 to file with TurboTax???

Jun 7, 2019 3:04:02 PM

I received a50% off deal via email which I clicked on. Then when I was actually ready to file, it was $79 + state AND an additional surprise $39.00 fee to reroute it through another bank-which I do NOT want. I am unable to find how to undo this. What is going on Turbo Tax?!? This ended up costing MORE than what I paid to have a tax preparer do it last year. I think I'll save myself time and money and NOT use TT again!

Jun 7, 2019 3:04:04 PM

I agree with all the above the fees were not published before hand.  I will not use this next year.   

Jun 7, 2019 3:04:05 PM

The Refund Processing Service is an option you can choose if you do not have a debit or credit card to pay the TurboTax fee. This $34.99 fee is paid to an intermediary bank, since the intermediary bank has to intercept your refund, deduct the TurboTax fee, and then forward your refund to you. The bank charges a fee for this service.

This bank processing fee can easily be avoided simply by paying the TurboTax fee when you e-file with either a debit or credit card.

In regards to your mention of 21 days, this is the average time that the IRS requires to process a tax return, not the amount of time that the bank requires to electronically transfer funds.

The TurboTax FAQ below provides additional information about the Refund Processing Service and explains how to remove it before you e-file:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5007885

Jun 7, 2019 3:04:09 PM
Jun 7, 2019 3:04:12 PM

I had Federal free file and state free file completed my taxes and TurboTax offered me a promotional item to be able to have access to some premium items that really had nothing to do my taxes being filed at all.. Was 1yr access monitor to improving my finances and credit scores and having access to promo add one not tax prep! 

TurboTax acknowledged the fact that I was only supposed to be charged 19.99taxes included but aren't willing to do anything about this Bank holding my refund and charging me $49 without permission of a bank processing fee even States total deducted for promotional items 19.99 on my receipts

Jun 7, 2019 3:04:15 PM

When I called the Santa Barbara Bank they blamed it on TurboTax called TurboTax they blamed it on the bank

Jun 7, 2019 3:04:16 PM

Short answer: TruboTax is not free. If you have student loans, as many of us do, expect to have no choice but to pay over $100 in fees. This is including the $40 or so fee from the bank they use. And the option, or rather, notification, that you'll have to take on this fee comes halfway through the filing process. The site gets you half way through one of the more annoying things in life and says "Because you have student loan interest to file, you can either start over with someone else/on your own, or pay us a massive fee". And the explanation of this is a page full of information that sends you in circles. 

Jun 7, 2019 3:04:18 PM
Level 1
Jan 30, 2020 3:48:51 PM

Yeah, what's up??  It says $19.99 to E-File and then I get to the end and it wants me to pay $49.99!!   False advertising??  Since I have time I'm just going to mail my return in.  Might think about going to H&R Block next year.

Level 15
Jan 30, 2020 3:54:29 PM

@BigMacaroni wrote:

Yeah, what's up??  It says $19.99 to E-File and then I get to the end and it wants me to pay $49.99!!   False advertising??  Since I have time I'm just going to mail my return in.  Might think about going to H&R Block next year.

If you are using the TurboTax desktop editions it is currently $19.99 to e-file a state tax return.  Where are you seeing this $49.99 charge?  Did you select to pay the charge from the federal tax refund?  Or did you add Audit Defense to your order?

Feb 3, 2020 5:39:32 PM

Not only that ....why does turbo Tax charge $19.99 to file your state return when you bought the deluxe issue with one free state filing, but it won't let you file till you pay it again.......and how do I get my money back???

Level 15
Feb 3, 2020 7:34:47 PM

@Tom Silva wrote:

Not only that ....why does turbo Tax charge $19.99 to file your state return when you bought the deluxe issue with one free state filing, but it won't let you file till you pay it again.......and how do I get my money back???

You bought the Deluxe desktop edition that included one free state program

download

.  Not one free state tax return e-file.

Feb 5, 2020 8:37:33 AM

I accidently bought just the Fed package instead of the Fed and State.  After getting hosed for an additional $40 for just the state software, I was still charged an another $19.99 to e-file it.   I've used Turbo Tax for years and am so disillusioned by this that I'll look at something else next year.  

Expert Alumni
Feb 5, 2020 8:56:51 AM

You can go to TurboTax website to request a refund for the software purchased from TurboTax - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/refund-request.jsp

Feb 25, 2020 5:38:23 PM

Well I was under the impression that filing was no charge as its stated on the IRS website..infact I've just joined a class action lawsuit that's taking place because of the misleading way this "FREE FILING" was advertised..I paid over $140 for processing fee and some other fee I cant recall because I did not have enough money on my credit card to pay the $35 ..so I'm waiting on my tax return to post in my bank on the 26th of FEB and I've never had to wait so long for a tax refund..I'm angry because I called a consultant at intuit and I had to pay the extra $90 because i didn't fill out the right form for self employment to get the "FREE "  filing..I asked if I could transfer all of the info to the correct form wo having to start over because I'd been at it for 3 days..this software is misleading and traps you when you're already frustrated and ready to  b done..I'm not happy with the company right now..if the bank who intercepts my tax check delays me any more than a couple of hours I'm going to be irate..I filed 4 days before the irs even opened and this is the longest I've EVER waited on my check..

Mar 4, 2020 1:39:50 PM

This is a complete rip off!!!  You should be ashamed.  I let my college son do his return and he pushed the button before I could check it over.  He was charged a total of $65 on a refund of $571!!!!  shame on you.  I predict a class action suit coming.  I called customer service and they could not do anything.  big ripoff.

Expert Alumni
Mar 4, 2020 1:52:05 PM

You have an option to mail your tax return in to avoid the e-file fee. Also, it is not customary or even allowable by law to set tax preparation fees based on the amount of the taxpayer's refund.

Mar 23, 2020 8:54:57 AM

Why were we charged $120+ to file as self-employed?  Our total fee last year was around $65.00.  We aren't self-employed

Expert Alumni
Mar 23, 2020 9:38:38 AM

You can review your fees by following the instructions below.  

1. After signing in to TurboTax, open or continue your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools on the left side of the screen and then Tools.
  3. A Tools Center box will pop up on your screen.
  4. Select the My Fees box on the right.

If your TurboTax fees are higher than expected, you can reduce them by removing add-ons: