Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Mar 25, 2023 11:56:36 PM

Print and Mail these form to the government

I have finished my returns and have e-filed them.

However, I received this message: 

"Even though you e-filed, Don't Skip This Paperwork.  These forms are required by the government to complete your return."

The program does not tell me what forms (aka paperwork) are required by the government.

I have gone back in the program twice and tried to print or save these forms--the two choices available in Turbo Tax.  Both times I received this message when I tried to print the forms, "Your forms cannot be printed.  Error in converting your forms to pdf format."  When I tried to save them, I received this message:  "Your forms cannot be saved in pdf format."

Any suggestions or is this in error in Turbo Tax software??

Thanks!

0 29 964
24 Replies
Intuit Alumni
Mar 26, 2023 9:55:26 AM

If you are using the Download/Desktop version, you will need to make sure you have updated your software.  To manually update for Windows, please see the Help Article here.  For Mac, please see this Help Article.  

@Nyack10960 

Level 2
Mar 28, 2023 6:53:44 PM

Thanks for your answer. 

My software was and is up to date.

I have tried every day since Saturday, and the same message appears that it cannot be printed or saved in a pdf format. 

Intuit Alumni
Mar 29, 2023 8:49:52 AM

Please see this Turbo Tax help article for more information.
Error 539 when opening or saving a tax return

You can also see the information provided in this thread

Level 1
Apr 17, 2023 10:12:48 PM

This help article is totally irrelevant to the problem cited.  I have the same problem and my TurboTax for Windows product is also up to date.

Now I have filed and have no idea what these supposedly important forms I have to print and mail even are - SO FRUSTRATING!

Intuit Alumni
Apr 18, 2023 11:26:35 AM

For further assistance, please contact support. 
This FAQ will provide you with the steps to contact an agent. 
Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time daily.

Level 2
Jan 31, 2024 7:19:32 PM

Did you ever figure it out, cause im having same problem 

Expert Alumni
Feb 1, 2024 7:07:07 AM

Try closing TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies, and reopen TurboTax.  Make sure you have ran all updates. 

Level 1
Feb 9, 2024 6:10:13 PM

I have he sae problem. Cannot find an answer anywhere.

Level 2
Feb 10, 2024 8:15:38 AM

No they havent they keep.saying same thing over and over. Ive tried asking the same question a different way but still same.

Expert Alumni
Feb 11, 2024 1:47:29 PM

If you have the same issue as the original poster, you can resolve it by downloading, or updating, the free version of Adobe Reader. Follow this link for more. 

If it's something else, respond back with more details about what you are experiencing. 

Level 1
Feb 12, 2024 10:23:56 AM

This worked... thanks!

Level 2
Apr 8, 2024 9:30:00 AM

I'm having the same issue. I updated Adobe Acrobat and still doesn't work. Have you found a solution? So frustrating! 

Level 2
Apr 8, 2024 9:36:48 AM

Hi. I have updated/redownloaded Adobe Acrobat, restarted my computer and tried to print the forms but I still get the "Your forms can not be printed. Error in converting your forms to PDF format." error. If I knew what forms I need to print and send I might be able to open the entire return pdf and try to print from it. It would be nice if TT would say, you need to print form XXXX and mail it in instead of a general statement. I wonder if the online version has this issue? Thanks for any help you might be able to give. 

Level 2
Apr 8, 2024 9:55:36 AM

Hi!  I have received the same message for the past three years!  There is no solution--I believe it's a glitch in Turbo Tax's software.  I have not mailed any forms to the IRS for these past three years.   I simply e-filed my returns.  There have been no further issues or correspondence that I received from the IRS during these past three years indicating that I was missing any forms when I e-filed my returns.

Level 1
Apr 14, 2024 3:55:33 PM

OMG - these responses from INTUIT are infuriating!!!!   I have the exact same issue:

> Even though you e-filed, you are still required to print and mail these forms in

> Print Required Forms

ERROR:  TurboTax Deluxx 2023. Your forms can not be printed. Error in converting your forms to PDF format.

WHAT THE HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO????

Level 2
Apr 14, 2024 4:34:13 PM

I have exactly the same problem. Just e-filed, but says I need to send printed forms to the government. When I click print or save those forms it gives me the error of not being able to convert to PDF format. Even when the whole return has been saved as PDF just before. What's going on?

I asked to talk to an expert, been given the message that I would receive a call, been waiting for a while...

Is this a glitch??

Expert Alumni
Apr 14, 2024 4:42:38 PM

It's very rare when you have to mail forms after Efiling.  Check your 'Filing Instructions' page to be sure that you actually do have to mail something. 

If so, try printing the pages you need from the PDF of your return that you saved earlier.

@mpiotti 

Level 1
Apr 14, 2024 4:48:48 PM

And where exactly is this "filing instruction page"?  TT doesn't bring anything like that up.

Level 1
Apr 14, 2024 4:54:33 PM

Here is what my state filing instructions say.  NOTE - I DID

NOT

CHOOSE to sign my return by paper!

Form PIT-8453 -

Since you chose to sign your return by paper

using
Need to | Form PIT-8453, you must complete this form and mail to the New Mexico
Sign and | Taxation and Revenue Department within 1 business day from the date
Mail | the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department accepts your return.
| The New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department does not consider your
| return officially filed until it has this form. The form is included
| in this printout.

Level 1
Apr 14, 2024 4:57:30 PM

Note: PIT 8453 is the main tax form for the state of NM (not some ancillary form)...

This very much feels like a TT glitch.

Level 1
Apr 14, 2024 5:01:14 PM

I would really like INTUIT/TT to fix this so I don't have to print my entire state tax form and mail it in.  That was the purpose for paying the $25 to e-file the state tax.  If TT doesn't fix this, how do I get a refund?

Level 2
Apr 14, 2024 6:27:26 PM

Ok for me i had to send in a copy of my driver's license, copy of w2, and a copy of state tax return, to my state. I hope this helped 

Level 2
Apr 14, 2024 6:33:16 PM

The 8453 form I completed was not a state of NM form - it was a federal form.

Level 2
Apr 14, 2024 9:56:37 PM

I've got the same statement in the filing instructions for New Mexico. I DID NOT CHOOSE TO SIGN MY RETURN BY PAPER EITHER. Is this a TT glitch? It doesn't make sense.

Thanks