Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Nov 15, 2019 5:58:55 AM

Mojave OS for Apple computers is required for 2020. Thousands of 2011 Apple computers will be unable to run TurboTax. Is there a way to let Intuit know of that problem?

3 128 25197
1 Best answer
Level 15
Nov 16, 2019 7:56:38 AM

@SkiMeister-NC wrote:

I have already downloaded TurboTax2019.  I prefer to do my tax work on my computer rather than online, but it appears I won't have that option for 2020 unless I purchase a new computer.  This change by Intuit will effect many users.

It is not a change.  It is due to the fact that to develop new Mac software (and TurboTax each year is a new product) the Apple development tools (supplied by Apple) must be used.   Apple only supports 3 years of OS, currently OSX 10.13, 10.14 and 10.15.    There simply is no way for a software company to develop new software for any Mac OS prior to 10.13 using the current Apple tools.  It is Apple that does not support OSX 10.12 or earlier, not TurboTax.

For 2019, OSX 10.13 of later is required.

Next year, 2020, Apple will drop support for OSX 10.13 so 10.14 or later will be required.

24 Replies
Level 15
Nov 15, 2019 6:43:41 AM

TurboTax is aware of this.

You can use the TurboTax online editions for tax year 2019 when they become available in early December - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

TurboTax minimum system requirements for Mac - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-mac-software/01/25609

TurboTax minimum system requirements for the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/turbotax-online-system-requirements/01/25787

Level 2
Nov 16, 2019 6:52:58 AM

I have already downloaded TurboTax2019.  I prefer to do my tax work on my computer rather than online, but it appears I won't have that option for 2020 unless I purchase a new computer.  This change by Intuit will effect many users.

Level 15
Nov 16, 2019 7:56:38 AM

@SkiMeister-NC wrote:

It is not a change.  It is due to the fact that to develop new Mac software (and TurboTax each year is a new product) the Apple development tools (supplied by Apple) must be used.   Apple only supports 3 years of OS, currently OSX 10.13, 10.14 and 10.15.    There simply is no way for a software company to develop new software for any Mac OS prior to 10.13 using the current Apple tools.  It is Apple that does not support OSX 10.12 or earlier, not TurboTax.

For 2019, OSX 10.13 of later is required.

Next year, 2020, Apple will drop support for OSX 10.13 so 10.14 or later will be required.

Level 2
Nov 18, 2019 5:25:37 AM

I'm running 10.13.   But I do understand your answer.  I just hate that a perfectly good machine with 8 G of memory and a solid state hard drive is not going to meet new software conditions in another year.  I could get by with using the online version of TurboTax, though it's not my preference.  I'll be mad at Apple rather than Intuit.

Thank you for your answer.  

Level 2
Feb 7, 2020 7:35:29 AM

I won't do taxes online for security purposes and I won't buy a new computer unless this one breaks. So, next year I plan to switch to HR Block even though I've used TT pretty much since they started on Macs and were known as Mac-in-Tax. Their response is BS since many apps (incl HR Block) will work with older OS's. They just don't want to have to test on multiple OS's. I left Quicken for Mac because of Intuit's lack of Mac support and I will be leaving TT for Mac for the same reason. A stupid corporate decision on their part.

Level 1
Feb 15, 2020 2:09:28 PM

I can't get the disk image to open or load.  Don't know if that is also happening to you or not.  My Mac is running 10.14 so it should not be an issue but obviously it is.

Intuit Alumni
Feb 16, 2020 6:56:10 PM

I would suggest using the link provided below to troubleshoot this issue with Mac. If that does not work, I would suggest contacting TurboTax directly.

Troubleshoot TurboTax for Mac updating issues

Level 1
Feb 18, 2020 8:12:14 PM

I agree that this is a dumb decision by Intuit. Apple is moving on to eliminate 2011 and prior machines because they were just designed too well. The newer Apples are crap by comparison, but just as expensive. Steve Jobs would be appalled! Intuit doesn't need to go along. I'll be angry with both companies. The cheap solution (if this is cheap) is to move on to a Windows based POS or to just leave Inuit. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Level 1
Mar 8, 2020 6:08:42 PM

After many years using TurboTax, I have decided to leave and never purchase anything from Intuit since they failed to produce a product that will run with Mac OS 10.15.3 Catalina. I have no desire to wipe my hard drive and load an earlier version of OS on my MacBook Pro just so I can get TurboTax to run. I am getting my money back as soon as possible. I recommend every Mac user do the same.

Level 1
Mar 29, 2020 1:16:00 PM

This is BS. I have been using Turbotax for YEARS and other tax software providers aren't having this issue. If Intuit wants to lose their thousand of Mac users, it's gonna hurt them financially. I know I will certainly purchase my tax software elsewhere next year.

Apr 8, 2020 9:03:28 AM

Can you still do your 2020 taxes online if you are not on the Mojave operating system using Turbo Tax?  Will the 2019 tax data form you hard drive automatically transfer to the online version of TurboTax?

Level 15
Apr 8, 2020 9:59:22 AM

@klaus1 wrote:

Can you still do your 2020 taxes online if you are not on the Mojave operating system using Turbo Tax?  Will the 2019 tax data form you hard drive automatically transfer to the online version of TurboTax?

Online only requires a browser.  

Why would you have a .tax2019 data file if you are not using the desktop software?   Of do you mean import the 2018 tax file to 2019 online?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-cd-download-to-turbotax-online/01/859756

Level 15
Apr 8, 2020 12:45:37 PM

after you file with TurboTax Online,

you can download your return into a tax2019 file if you do it before October 15th.

@macuser_22  even I know that.

Level 1
Jun 30, 2020 11:24:49 AM

I understand that I will need to upgrade my OS system on my mac for next year's turbotax, but if I do that, I think that means that I would not be able to go back and access prior year tax returns (in the event I needed to amend a return).  Is that right and if so, is there a work around?

Level 15
Jun 30, 2020 11:30:28 AM

The last 3 years would not be affected by a system upgrade.   You can only amend 2016 -2019 currently and after July 15, 2016 can no longer be amended for a refund.

I can still open 2012 without any problems.

Level 3
Sep 20, 2020 5:50:15 PM

Even though Apple only promises active support for the three most recently released major versions of the operating system, Apple's tools still generate code for earlier operating system versions.

Does the statement that TurboTax 2020 will only be supported on Mojave and later systems mean that:

1. if unexpected operating system issues are encountered, Intuit may not be able to address them, because of a lack of Apple support, or
  2. Intuit has decided to use operating system features that are not available in systems prior to Mojave and is not willing to provide software to work around the absence of those features in earlier systems, or
  3. Intuit has inserted code that checks which version of the operating system is being used and TurboTax will immediately exit if the operating system version is earlier than Mojave.

Intuit, please note: Apple has announced that it is switching from Intel processors to Apple's own silicon, but the switchover will require two years to complete. Many Turbotax users have somewhat older Macs that can't run any system beyond High Sierra and are unwilling to replace their computers until Apple has a replacement for their current model using Apple silicon. It is extremely unwise of Intuit to try to force Mac users to switch to an operating system version beyond High Sierra until Apple has completed the switchover from Intel processors to Apple silicon throughout the Mac product line.

Level 15
Sep 20, 2020 6:00:27 PM

#3 - it the software is not on a supported OS it will not run.

Oct 17, 2020 8:21:19 PM

Ituit states the Mojave is required to run the 2020 version of Turbo Tax. Cannot fine Mojave on the Apple App Store.  Should Catalina be used? 

Level 15
Oct 17, 2020 8:32:24 PM

Minimum system requirements for TurboTax Mac software

Here are the minimum system requirements for TurboTax 2016 through 2020 software for Mac Basic, Deluxe, Premier, and Home Business editions.

Operating System

• 2020: macOS Mojave 10.14 or later
  • 2019: macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later
  • 2018: macOS X v.10.12 or later (64-bit required)
  • 2017: macOS X v10.11 or later (64-bit required)
  • 2016: macOS X v10.9 or higher (64-bit required)

Processor: Multi-core Intel processor with 64-bit support

Hard Drive Space

• 2019 – 2020: 1 GB
  • 2016 –  2018: 650 MB

RAM: 2 GB or more recommended

CD/DVD drive if installing from the CD.

Internet connection: 1 Mbps modem (Broadband connection highly recommended). Required for product activation, software updates, and optional online features

Monitor resolution: 1024×768 or higher recommended

Mac-compatible printer: If you want to print your tax return or any tax forms.

We no longer sell or support TurboTax for 2015 or earlier tax years.

Level 15
Oct 17, 2020 8:40:36 PM

Here's a Turbo Tax FAQ on how to update the Mac OS-X

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/how-to-update-mac-os-x/00/26132

Level 15
Oct 17, 2020 8:43:49 PM

@brianclarry wrote:

Ituit states the Mojave is required to run the 2020 version of Turbo Tax. Cannot fine Mojave on the Apple App Store.  Should Catalina be used? 

Yes, OSX 10.14 or higher.

Mojave is OSX 10.14, Mojave is 10.15 and 10.16 is rumored to be released before the end of the year.

Many older Mac's cannot run the later versions.  10.14 is still available if your Mac is one of those or you just do not want the latest that might still have many bugs (like me).

Level 15
Oct 17, 2020 8:47:49 PM

Level 3
Oct 17, 2020 10:58:08 PM

Of course, the problem is that my iMac can not run any version of MacOS later than High Sierra (i.e., Apple doesn't support a later version of MacOS on my Macintosh hardware). So I need to buy a new Mac computer. Since Apple is in the process of switching from Intel-based Macs to Apple Silicon (i.e., ARM)-based Macs, I don't want to buy a new Intel-based Mac which will have a limited life. It is much more reasonable for me to wait until I can buy an ARM-based iMac. It seems only reasonable for Intuit to continue supporting the 2020 (and possibly 2021) versions of Turbotax on High Sierra until Apple has completed the switch of the Mac product line to ARM-based computers - to avoid forcing Turbotax users to buy new computer that will have a limited life.

Not applicable
Oct 17, 2020 11:33:38 PM

and windows 7 users want TT to continue support for that.  seems like a lot of people will be getting new computers.   however, the online versions don't require the newer OS.