Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

daniela1

I purchased 2 cds can i load on one computer

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

33 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You cannot install two copies of the personal TurboTax software for the same year on one computer. Personal TurboTax software means TurboTax Basic, Deluxe, Premier, or Home & Business - anything except TurboTax Business (which is not the same as Home & Business). You can install one personal edition and TurboTax Business on the same computer. You can install personal editions for different years on one computer, so you could have 2017 Deluxe and 2018 Deluxe on the same computer. But you cannot install two copies of 2018 Deluxe on one computer, and you cannot install, for example, 2018 Deluxe and 2018 Premier on the same computer.

What if a person installed one copy of Turbotax, used that copy to electronically file 5 returns, uninstalled that copy, and then installed a second copy in order to file 5 more returns? (Note - all of the returns are being prepared for free - not a paid tax preparer.)

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@cyberry With a TurboTax CD, you're able to electronically file 5 returns. Even upon re-installing the software, you will not be able to e-file any more returns but you can prepare more. You just will need to print them and mail them off for processing. For more information, see: How many returns can I e-file in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Doesn't quite answer my question.

I have TWO copies of Turbotax Deluxe, both purchased. I am not trying to uninstall a copy of the program and then reinstall the same copy. I would be uninstalling one copy and then installing a DIFFERENT, purchased copy of the program. 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You can install a second copy of TurboTax on your computer.  To install the second copy you will have to set up a new TurboTax account with a new user ID.  When you have two copies of TurboTax installed you will only be allowed to have one copy open at a time.

Dshadyzbt

Did you figure this out? Same question. bought two copies. Uninstalled the first. Installed the second, but it's giving me trouble like i've already used my 5 e-files even though this is a second copy. 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

The IRS imposes a limit of 5 e-mail returns.  Preparing greater than 5 returns is viewed by the IRS as being 'a preparer' and requires registration with the IRS.  It is NOT a TurboTax limitation, and it does not matter how many TurboTax packages you buy; if you try to e-file more than 5 returns you should consider it an invitation to the IRS to contact you.

NOTE: To prepare more than five e-files, you will need to become an Authorized e-file Provider and register as an ERO (Electronic Returns Originator) with the IRS, see:
http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/e-File-Providers-&-Partners/Become-an-Authorized-e-file-Provide...

Intuit has 2 products for tax preparers:
      ProSeries    http://proseries.intuit.com/
      Lacerte    http://lacerte.intuit.com/index.jsp

However; while you can only e-file 5 returns, the TurboTax software will let you PRINT and MAIL as many additional copies as you need at NO additional charge for the federal returns.

gkattouah

I installed the Home & Business and used the 5 electronic filings.  Then I purchased the Deluxe because I have more returns to file - all are for family members.  I also have a family member who I will need to use the Business edition (Corporation) for, which I also have purchased.  I uninstalled the Home & Business so I could install the Deluxe.  It seemed to work fine for the Federal, but when I tried to do the State I got an error message 190.  

I'm really disappointed in your software and doubt I will use this going forward.  I never had trouble before doing taxes for my family and extended family.  They do not pay me!  I do it to help out and I am not in business.  I have now purchased THREE different copies of Turbo Tax to get everyone's returns done and I am stuck.  I feel like this is a money making scheme for Turbo Tax.  You should not do this to your faithful customers.  I used your software for years.  Whoever came up with this idea is stupid - putting restrictions on the number of returns we can file, just so you can gouge people because you think they have a business.  

What do I do now?  I have tax returns to finish and send off.

gkattouah

I want a refund!

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Our Satisfaction Guaranteed (or Guaranteed Easy) policy says that if you're not satisfied with your TurboTax software, you can return it within 60 days of purchase for a full refund. If it's the software that you want a refund on, click here. If you want a refund on something else dealing with filing your taxes using TurboTax, you would want to use the TurboTax Customer Support link provided below to reach out to someone directly:

TurboTax Customer Support

@gkattouah The limit for five federal e-files is an IRS limit---not a TurboTax limit.  Your expectations were mistaken when you thought you could install a second CD and e-file more returns.  The IRS does not allow it. When you have any more than five individual tax returns to file, the extra ones have to be printed, signed and mailed.

Since the TT expert has explained the return policy to you, you should try contacting customer support if you purchased the software from TT.

You can install the TurboTax Business program on the same computer and use it to e-file returns since those are business returns--not individual Form 1040's.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
cyberryT
Returning Member

I'm not filing as a paid tax preparer. I work for a not for profit and use the program to help individuals file their tax returns, for no charge. So the returns are not being electronically filed as, e.g., 10 returns filed by Paid Tax Preparer for 10 individual clients. They are being filed for each individual.  Since preparer who worked on the returns is not paid, name of preparer is not listed on the returns.

I have no problem with each copy of the program limiting me to filing five returns electronically, and bought two copies of the program anticipating that would allow me to assist 10 individuals to file their returns electronically. (Also, NY State, where I work, requires returns prepared by tax software to be filed electronically, at least while electronic filing is open.)

cyberryT
Returning Member

[by the way, I'm the same person as "cyberry", who posted the replies above. For some reason the site required me to set up a new username.]

rfank13

I'm in a situation similar to yours as I'm doing multiple returns for family, unpaid, and just finished e-filing the first 5 returns.  Did the install program 1, e-file 5, uninstall program 1, install program 2, e-file 5 more work for you?  Any problem with the state tax returns?  Do you know if your 10 tax returns for 2020  will transfer to begin next year's 2021? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies