Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 3
posted Feb 12, 2022 12:58:16 PM

I'm trying to import Vanguard tax data into my tax return. Getting error "invalid sign on"

0 38 5099
24 Replies
Intuit Alumni
Feb 12, 2022 4:16:38 PM

You will need to contact customer service directly for assistance with your account. Please see the following information here for more details. 

Level 3
Feb 15, 2022 12:38:45 PM

I got a reply.  The advertised feature does not work.  No solution.  In other words - Too bad - Doesn't affect us as you already bought the software.  Turbo Tax please contact me if you want to make this right.

Intuit Alumni
Feb 15, 2022 3:23:15 PM

You can contact support for further assistance.

This FAQ will provide you with the steps to contact an agent.
Contact Support

Level 3
Feb 16, 2022 12:04:41 PM

Hello, Are you asking me to contact customer service so I can get a refund for Turbo tax software?  I don't want to wait on hold again to hear "I can't help you".  Customer service previously informed me that it was a defect in  Turbo Tax software.   

Intuit Alumni
Feb 16, 2022 3:16:21 PM

@emilclu

Does your login screen ask for a username/password or document ID and account number?  Please respond here and we will follow up with the next steps.  

Level 1
Feb 22, 2022 5:34:57 PM

my TurboTax is asking for document ID and Account number. I’ve tried everything and I keep getting unsuccessful import. I used to be asked for a user ID and password but that is not the case in 2022 for the 2021 tax year. Please help!

Level 3
Feb 22, 2022 6:01:07 PM

I'm having buyers remorse.  This year not only was I unable to download vanguard.  Also, software only partially grabbed information from my prior turbox filed returns.  These are the features I paid for and they are not working.  I'm not willing to delete my entire tax return and start over as your support representative suggests.  This years version of your software is broken.  It's your option if you want to compensate me for these deficiencies.

Expert Alumni
Feb 23, 2022 12:05:32 PM

Use the account number and the Document ID from the top banner on page one of your 1099 statement.

Level 1
Feb 23, 2022 2:03:08 PM

As I indicated in my above message, nothing works. There is no document ID with 11 characters (turboTax software says 11 characters). Any combination of account number, user ID, and password does not work. Your software must be incorrect. Surely TurboTax can do an update to fix this? I’ve been importing my Vanguard information to TurboTax for years using my user ID and password. Your software is not asking for those items. The Vanguard form does not have a banner across the top with a document ID number. The software designer needs to get involved and make a correction and do and update for its customers.

Intuit Alumni
Feb 23, 2022 6:19:28 PM

The Turbo Tax icon for Vanguard tries to sign you in to Vanguard Mutual Funds. If you have a Vanguard Brokerage account or if your Vanguard Mutual Fund account was converted to a Vanguard Brokerage account last year then you have to type in Vanguard on the search for field instead of selecting the icon and you will see two drop down items display, Vanguard Mutual Funds and Vanguard Brokerage. Select the Vanguard Brokerage and enter your id and password for Vanguard and then your imports will work.

"MarkMulliganSr Level 1"

Please also see the TurboTax FAQ below, for issues importing:

@PCNR

Level 3
Feb 23, 2022 6:29:30 PM

Why did it take so long to communicate this information?  I already filed tax return.  If you think It's the right thing to do please compensate me for difficulties.  It's not my job to troubleshoot your software.  

Level 15
Feb 23, 2022 6:37:25 PM

That was just one user's experience from 2018 and may not even apply to 2021.   From this 2018 post

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/vanguard-2018-1099-s-not-downloading/00/9698

Level 2
Feb 26, 2022 4:23:36 AM

Nope, still doesn't work.  Import seems to be broken.

Level 2
Feb 26, 2022 9:26:55 AM

nope doesn't work for me either. no document ids work

Intuit Alumni
Feb 26, 2022 10:01:49 AM

If you are using TurboTax Online, please try logging completely out of the TurboTax website, then clear your browser's cache and delete cookies. A full or corrupted cache can keep TurboTax from functioning properly. 

If you continue to have issues please reach out to a TurboTax representative for assistance. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

Level 2
Feb 26, 2022 11:38:44 AM

restarting the app made it work

Intuit Alumni
Feb 26, 2022 11:48:05 AM

Glad to hear it! Thank you for letting us know. 

@asdfl76

Returning Member
Feb 28, 2022 3:26:25 PM

I tried everything, not working. Pls confirm if Vanguard import will not work as I have to manually enter all info which is very frustrating to say the least. It works fine with other brokerage accounts. 

Intuit Alumni
Feb 28, 2022 6:43:11 PM

Vanguard should be working. What is happening when you try to do the import @walter white ?

Level 3
Mar 13, 2022 11:37:03 AM

When I try to do the import from Vanguard, I get an error indicating, "This import was unsuccessful. Internal server error."

Error when trying to import from Vanguard to TurboTax Premier 2021

Intuit Alumni
Mar 13, 2022 1:48:02 PM

Please see the below TurboTax help article to assist with troubleshooting your import issue.

What if I can't import my 1099?

If you continue to have issues please reach out to a TurboTax representative for assistance. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Gordon3

Level 3
Mar 13, 2022 3:54:30 PM

Thank you for the reply. @MichelleLO 

By following the “What if I can't import my 1099?” link, I see that “Fidelity Investments” and “Vanguard Group - Brokerage Account” are listed as 1099/1098 Partners. “Vanguard Group - Mutual Fund Accounts” is also a partner. The data transfer works if I try creating a return online, but I’ve already purchased the CD version of TurboTax Premier 2021, and I’d rather maintain control of my tax data.

Calling the TurboTax Phone Number gets you in touch with a robot that will email a link to import data and then refers you to turbotax.com/support. I tried but made no progress there.

At least I can reproduce the problem. With my tax file open, I can navigate starting at the File pulldown menu via “File > Import > From Financial Institution”. Alternatively form the “FEDERAL TAXES” tab I can view my import summary, select “Add Other Documents” and chose “Import from my band or brokerage”. That leads me to something like what is shown below, but I added the red ovals.

Note that both Fidelity’s and Vanguard’s logos appear right on the TurboTax software’s user interface. What is different from recent years is that rather than using a username and password to access the data, one has to provide that account number and document ID, both of which appear on a hard copy or PDF version of a 1099 from Vanguard or Fidelity. Various accounts at both institutions get me to this.

As noted above, the data transfer works if I try creating a return online. It could be something local to my machine, but searching the web for TurboTax users trying to import data from Vanguard suggests it is not only my equipment, not by a long shot.

It may well be user error or a problem with my equipment. It might also be something wrong with the software or online services.

Level 3
Mar 13, 2022 8:52:15 PM

This thread started with @emilclu indicating, “I'm trying to import Vanguard tax data into my tax return.” I’m also trying to get that to work, and also trying to get similar data from Fidelity.

I’ve seen the references to Contact Support, which I have tried, but my effort there is no more effective than what we see in this thread.

I’ve seen the references to TurboTax Import Partners and found the 1099/1098 Partners List. Amongst many others, the list includes

• Vanguard Group - Brokerage Account
  • Vanguard Group - Mutual Fund Accounts
  • Fidelity Investments

@walter white was seems to have been able import from at least some account. In past years, it worked for me too.

In my case, my Vanguard Mutual Fund Accounts were changed to Vanguard Brokerage Accounts several years ago. I find the 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, etc., for the brokerage account has been easier to uses, at least in my past years of using TurboTax.

If one tries importing data from a Vanguard Brokerage Account, the Desktop TurboTax Premier 2021 application asks for Account Number and Document ID.

Vanguard Brokerage Account Import Prompt - CD TurboTax Premier 2021

As @MyaD indicates, I can obtain the Account Number and Document ID from the top of a PDF version of the 1099 PDF file that I was able to download from Vanguard’s website to my desktop computer.

If one tries importing data from a Vanguard Mutual Fund Account, the Desktop TurboTax Premier 2021 application asks for a User name and Password.

I was still unable to download tax data from Vanguard and Fidelity to TurboTax Premier 2021 installed on my desktop computer. I get this:

As the error dialog box indicates, this may indeed be a server side problem, I do not know. What does “Internal server error” suggests? If it is as indicated, trying this may work on another day.

When I try the online version of TurboTax, I can import the data from PDF versions of 1099 forms from Vanguard and Fidelity. I only had one 1099 that I could not import as PDF, and that is from TreasuryDirect, which seems a bit ironic.

K-1 forms for limited partnerships are another matter. In that case, the TurboTax on my desktop computer can import the K-1, but the online version cannot. For the online version, I hand entered the K-1 data, and that is more difficult than it seems. Furthermore, the software's Federal Review catches errors in what I entered, and finding the information needed to resolve the matter is not straightforward.  I'm using the online version for now because it can import from Vanguard and Fidelity.

I might get as far as I can with the online version of the tax return, then transfer that file to my desktop. I could delete the K-1's, and then re-import them electronically. I think one or more of the K-1's will be revised soon so I will need to update those at that time.

Level 3
Mar 14, 2022 7:04:52 PM

I think I figured this out. I have (1) a work around, and (2) what I think is a fix to the underlying problem.

The work around is easy and if it works for you than in suggests that you are having the same problem that I was having. But I first want to point out that I am using Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042, and TurboTax Premier 2021 that was installed from a CD.

The work around is to simply keep trying until the failure goes away.

Step 1: The work around scenario begins when you encounter the error below.

Step 2: Click on the “OK” button as shown below.

Step 3: Click the “Continue” button as shown below.

Step 4: If that did not work, go back at step 2 and try again; otherwise the work around got you past the problem. I had to go through this loop a few times and did encounter a different error, which believe it or not is an indication that you are getting past what appears to be the underlying issue.

The underlying issue appears to be DNS lookup failures, which are intermittent as of some Windows 10 version that Microsoft pushed out, seemingly at some point in 2021. Google found answers that seem to vary in regards to when that actually happened.

The short description of the fix is to set a different DNS server IP address (as opposed to obtaining it automatically). I post again to address that fix. It also resolves another issue that occurs when starting TurboTax. When I start TurboTax, I get this error.

The good thing about the work around is that you do not need to change anything that may seem suspect. The apparent fix on the other hand is something I think you should read up on unless the subject matter is familiar, as there are folks on the web that may have something other than good will in mind.