Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jul 13, 2020 6:40:00 PM

I am getting a error message stating that you could not e-file my return for the following reason a duplicate Social Security number for tax return with seem so security number has already been submit

When trying to see if file my returns I am getting an error message stating that you cannot do it because the tax return has already been submitted with the same Social Security number where do I get

0 5 544
5 Replies
Level 4
Jul 13, 2020 6:52:55 PM

That's a problem, seems like a ID Theft issue which was very common this year, if the same error comes over and over, consult online help with a tax professional, you may have to paper file and submit ID theft form.

Expert Alumni
Jul 13, 2020 6:53:44 PM

Did you submit your information through one of the non-filer applications in order to get your stimulus payment?  There are non-filer options either through TurboTax or the IRS.  

If so, when using the non-filer system, your information is processed by the IRS as an original filed return. 

If not, then you may have a more serious identity theft issue to address. 

See the following TurboTax articles for some additional advice about your situation: 

Reject R0000-902-01:  Taxpayer TIN must not be the same as a previously accepted return

What to do if you suspect tax-related identity theft

@hreyinnis

Level 15
Jul 13, 2020 6:54:20 PM

It could also be if you signed up on the IRS non-filer tool to give the IRS your Direct Deposit Info for the Stimulus Check.  If you did then see

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/stimulus-how-to-file-your-return-after-getting-reject-r0000-902-01/01/1602609

Level 4
Jul 13, 2020 7:13:54 PM

According to what I have read on the Web, the most common cause of this problem is some discrepancy in a birthdate, AGI or other identifying information. Do re-check this before worrying about identity theft. 

Jul 13, 2020 7:35:44 PM

When this same thing happened to me several years ago, it was due to someone stealing our identity and filing a tax return using our information. I suggest contacting the IRS as soon as possible to see if this is the case.