haleybartholow

Form 8958 (Community Property) not included in software e-file?

I'm filing my returns in a community property state (TX) and am using the desktop version of Home & Business TurboTax (for Mac). Elsewhere on the forum, I managed to find directions on how to include Form 8958 (no easy task!), which is required for my specific return. However, when I go to save a copy of my return for my records, the form isn't included. Nor does it appear to be included in the documents for e-filing. This was the whole reason I purchased the software instead of using TurboTax online.

Is this a bug? Why does the desktop software allow you to fill out Form 8958 but not include it in your paperwork? How does one escalate this to technical support? If this can't be resolved can I request a refund for the software? Any help would be appreciated. 

JotikaT2

If you are divorced, you would not be considered married for tax purposes, and as such, would not have any community property filing requirements.

If however, you have requirement to file Form 8958, you will need to mail in your tax return as it cannot be electronically filed.  Your marital status isn't reflected as Married Filing Jointly or Separately, so the form will not process as it isn't technically required if you aren't married.  

You can switch your filing status to Married Filing Separately to generate the form per the instructions previously provided but will need to switch your status back to Head of Household before you complete your return.  You can then print your tax return and attach Form 8958 as required per your agreement to meet your filing obligations.

JotikaT2

You can add this form into your return by following the steps below.

1. Log back into TurboTax.
  2. Go to the Forms section
  3. In the left panel, select Open Form (the screen will be similar to the sample below)

Open form

Type in 8958, scroll down and select Form 8958 - Allocation of Community Property Amounts and open the form.

When you see the form, select the box Yes where it says Important:  Are allocated community property amounts reported on this return?  

This will generate the form and allow you proceed to edit your information and generate the form in your tax return.

Form 8958

If you wish to discuss your account with an agent, please use the link below to contact us for assistance.

Contact TurboTax

kerid

I'm having the same problem with the desktop version of TurboTax Deluxe on a Mac. I can see the form in the software, and I have completed it (including checking the "yes" box). I can also view my entries through the EasyStep guides. However, the form itself still does not render/generate when I preview the "Returns for Filing" documents. I'm reluctant to e-file my return until I confirm Form 8958 will be included in my electronic return because it is a required form. Please advise. Thanks!

TiffanyL

@kerid, you would need to use the FAQ link provided below to reach out to TurboTax customer support for assistance with this issue:

TurboTax customer support

haleybartholow

Thank you so much for this detailed reply. I have done as advised and Turbotax still doesn't include Form 8958 in my returns. If it helps, I'm divorced and filling Head of Household, and need the form to explain the reporting of 50% of my ex-partner's income - per our divorce decree and IRS regulations. I can search for and print/save the form individually, if I want to mail my returns, but for obvious reasons I prefer to e-file. I really think this is a bug that should be escalated to TurboTax software engineers. ???

haleybartholow

FYI, I spoke with technical support and with an agent and we were not able to resolve this issue. 

JotikaT2