Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

azzarinne

My employer printed my nickname on my W2 rather than my legal name. Will this cause tax issues?

My legal name is Patricia, but I go by Patty.  My W2 says Patty.  Will this cause problems with the IRS or raise my chances of being audited?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My employer printed my nickname on my W2 rather than my legal name. Will this cause tax issues?

The name on your tax return and the name on a W-2 do not have to match, only the Social Security numbers must match.

TomD8
Level 15

And the name & SSN on your tax return must match your name and SSN as currently on file with Social Security.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
txmom24kt

Youre wrong. We were told by fed govt office  The name on the social security and your w2 MUST MATCH. If not it will trigger an audit and fraud alert. We were audited last year after filing an ez form and had to go to fed tax office to show proof our daughter katie was katherine (her legal name). Bunch of teens run the pool where she lifeguarded and could care less to get her paper work correct despite asking numerous times.
txmom24kt

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies