Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

One 1099R for two distribution types

I entered the information from the single 1099 R form I received exactly as it appears on the form. I could not answer one of the next questions in TurboTax. That form covered three IRA to Roth conversions and one IRA cash distribution to my checking account. Box 7 is "7". Both types of distributions are "normal". The question is the one that asks" What did you do with the money from xxx? Both answers are true: I moved it to another retirement account AND I did something else (like cash out).

I've asked our financial advisers to contact the custodial account holder to see if they will issue one 1099R for the cash distribution and one for the conversions. But the IRS says they don't have to do that, and I have a feeling the answer is going to be no. Very conservative/traditional FI.

How do I proceed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Please select "I moved it to another retirement account" and then select "I did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out the money". Then you can enter the amounts you converted and TurboTax will allocate the rest amount to cashing out the money.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Please select "I moved it to another retirement account" and then select "I did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out the money". Then you can enter the amounts you converted and TurboTax will allocate the rest amount to cashing out the money.

Thank you! I was right, the custodial FI won't reissue the 1099R as two.

This worked..sort of. I filled in the GROSS amount converted to the Roth, and TT returned a little note that said it would assume the rest was handled otherwise, like cashed out. BUT those gross amounts included federal and state withholding. The withholding, I've read, is NOT a conversion, but is a "regular" distribution. It  should reduce the net amount of the conversions, but still be counted as a distribution. The cash out transaction also included withholding, at a slightly different rate.

First time I tried to enter these distributions (as all conversion), I ended up with a set of screens trying to explain to TT how the taxes were paid and the actual/net amount of the conversions. Those screens didn't come up, this time and I couldn't find any place in Forms where I could clarify these issues.

Is there a worksheet somewhere where I could enter the two sets of withholding data?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

The tax withholding is reported on the 1099-R..  That along with any cashout is taxable. The taxes should not have to be reported anywhere else.

Here we are in 2022, i'm confronting the same issue, except the normal IRA distribution [part cash out, part RollOver to Roth IRA] entered correctly in 'Wages & income' section was flagged in 'Deductions & Credits'

as excessive contribution to a Roth IRA when it was IRA Rollover to a ROTH Ira, with No limits, it complained about $7K limit as if i was contributing from non IRA to Roth. TT should have figured out when i entered the 1099R info, it was a Direct Rollover from an IRA to a Roth IRA. i took early retirement since covid and started

cashing out IRA in addition to Rolling over some IRA distribution to ROTH directly with same brokerage.

Is this a Bug or what?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

When Distribution Code 7 appears on a 1099-R, TurboTax reports it as a regular distribution.  If you converted part of the distribution to a Roth IRA, (back-door Roth contribution),  you are correct that you have to explain what you did.  

This is a two-step process to report in TurboTax.  Click this link for the steps. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies