Form SSA-1099 reports Social Security benefits you received from the Social Security Administration (SSA). Some examples are Social Security retirement benefits, disability benefits and survivor benefits.
Social Security benefits may or may not be taxable for a given year, depending on certain factors. Very often, Social Security retirement benefits are not taxable at either the federal or state level.
You might get an SSA-1099-SM or an SSA-1099-R-OP1 instead an SSA-1099. These are handled the same way as a regular SSA-1099. To enter an SSA-1099, please see the following instructions:
I received form SSA-1099-R-OP1 and when I type the amount of money I received I am prompted to indicate the year which cannot exceed 2018 but the form is for money received in 2019. How to solve this?
Your Form SSA-1099-R-OP1 would be reported in the same location as all social security benefits. This screen is only for benefits received in 2019. (There is another section that allows you to enter a lump sum received in a prior year.) Please see the steps and screenshot below:
- Log into TurboTax and click on any topic to continue.
- Click on Federal from the menu on the left-hand side and then click on Wages & Income at the top.
- Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security, click "Show More" and then click on "Start" to the right of Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099.)
- Enter the amounts from your form(s) where indicated. If you received multiple SSA-1099s, add up the amounts for each box and enter them together.
Please see this TurboTax Help Article for more information.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
how do I file my ssa-1099 benefit
To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099
- Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
- Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
- Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
- Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
- On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button
Or enter ssa-1099 in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ssa-1099