Boater4life

refund in 2020 for 2019

I filed my 2020 taxes and found that my state refund from 2019 was not taxable. Why was that? in all years past I always had to claim my state refund.

refund in 2020 for 2019

If you did not itemize deductions for your 2019 tax return then your 2019 state refund is not taxable.  

Boater4life

refund in 2020 for 2019

I did itemize deductions for 2019

refund in 2020 for 2019

Look at your 2019 Form 1040.   Did you actually get the itemized deductions or did it use your standard deduction   (it is on line 9 of your tax return).   If you got itemized deductions on your 2019 return then your state refund is taxable on your 2020 return.