Troubleshooting and Repairing Problems with Windows Installer and the Microsoft .NET Framework
The Microsoft .NET Framework helps software developers create applications quickly, efficiently, and with less "code clutter". More info
Because TurboTax for Windows relies heavily on the .NET Framework, it's crucial that your .NET system files are up-to-date and functional.
TurboTax for Windows 2016, 2017, and 2018 require .NET Framework 4.5.2; and 2015 versions require Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 or 4.5.
- Windows 10 comes with .NET Framework 4.6.
- Windows 8 comes with .NET 4.5, with automatic updates.
- Windows 7 and Vista come with .NET 4.0, with automatic updates.
If you encounter errors or other problems with .NET, the first thing you want to do is download and run Microsoft's .NET Framework Repair Tool.
If that doesn't resolve your issue, run the System File Checker. Then, open Control Panel and choose Programs and Files (or Add or Remove Programs in XP), locate the .NET Framework 4, double-click it and then choose Repair.
Hopefully that should take care of things. If not, visit Microsoft employee and .NET expert Aaron Stebner's WebLog and carefully (we cannot emphasize this enough!) follow his directions to download and run the .NET Framework Cleanup tool. When finished, download and install .NET Framework 4 from Microsoft's site.
There are many types of Windows Installer errors. Click the links below to investigate the error you are encountering. Most Windows Installer errors include a 4- or 5-digit reference code; the most common ones are listed below.
- 1324: Invalid character
- 1327: Windows Installer cannot write to the specified drive
- 1334: Error Installing C:Program FilesCommon FilesIntuitTurboTax
- 1335: Cabinet file is corrupt
- 1406: Could not write value to key
- 1601: Windows Installer service could not be accessed.
- 1603: Fatal error during installation.
- 1604: Installation suspended, incomplete.
- 1605: Unable to flush wrapper.msi
- 1618: Another installation is already in progress.
- 1625: Installation is forbidden by system policy...
- 1631: Windows Installer service failed to start...
- 1635: This update package could not be opened...
- 1640: Installation from a Terminal Server client session not permitted...
- 1719: Windows Installer not accessible
- 1935: An error occurred during the installation of assembly
- 2203: Unexpected error installing package
- 2350: Microsoft Installer error
- 2720: Microsoft Installer error
- 4101: Another instance of setup is already running.
- 65535: Unexpected error
- 8191: Setup failure—unknown reason