The Windows System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) troubleshoots missing and corrupted Windows system files. Use this tool to check for underlying system issues if you're having problems installing or running TurboTax.
- Access the Command Prompt
- Windows 7: Select the Start button, then All Programs, and then Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator. If you are asked for a password, enter it. If asked to confirm, select Allow
- Windows 8/10: Right-click the Start button, then select Command Prompt (Admin), or use the search bar to search for command prompt
- Type SFC /SCANNOW and press Enter
- After the verification is complete, which may take several minutes, restart your computer and then try installing or running TurboTax again
If the System File Checker fails to repair a file, see this article on Microsoft's support site.