Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 8:12:43 AM

Where can I put in my six digit passcode that the irs gave me. Site only lets you put in 5

0 28 11546
1 Best answer
Jun 6, 2019 8:12:46 AM

These are two different pins.  One is an IP PIN. The IP PIN is a six digit number.  Your e-file PIN is 5 digits in length.  To obtain your 5 digit pin and enter it:

1. Click on the Federal Taxes tab.

2. Click on Other Tax Situations.

3. Scroll down to the section "Other Return Info".

4. Click Start, Update, or Revisit button for Identity Protection Pin.

24 Replies
Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 8:12:44 AM

the 5-digit number is your e-filing PIN. the 6-digit number issued by the IRS (not by TurboTax) is your Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN). The 5-digit number remains the same year to year. The 6-digit number changes every year, and the IRS will mail you the new 6-digit number each year.
to enter it, enter IP PIN in the search box and enter. Then click the "jump to" link when it appears.

Jun 6, 2019 8:12:46 AM

These are two different pins.  One is an IP PIN. The IP PIN is a six digit number.  Your e-file PIN is 5 digits in length.  To obtain your 5 digit pin and enter it:

1. Click on the Federal Taxes tab.

2. Click on Other Tax Situations.

3. Scroll down to the section "Other Return Info".

4. Click Start, Update, or Revisit button for Identity Protection Pin.

Level 2
Aug 21, 2019 7:30:41 PM

Cpoa1a

Level 15
Aug 22, 2019 12:30:05 AM

@Crystalh856  wrote:

Cpoa1a

That is not an  IP PIN.   If you meant to type CP01A, that is the type of IRS letter, which may have provided your IP PIN.  Read the whole letter.

An IP PIN is a 6-digit PIN provided by the IRS to certain victims of ID theft.   It consists only of numeric digits.  Did you get a CP01A letter from the IRS containing a 6-digit IP PIN?

If so, here's a way to enter the 6-digit IP PIN into your return:

• In the left menu column, click Federal.
  • Then at the top Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info.
  • Choose Identity Protection PIN and Start (or Revisit.)
  • Next screen asks:  "Did you get an IP PIN from the IRS for this year's taxes?"
  • If you choose "yes", it will have you enter it. 

Feb 25, 2020 3:29:30 AM

Intuit Alumni
Feb 25, 2020 8:20:29 AM

@saenz31cruz  The IRS has discontinued the e-filing PIN option. To verify your identity for e-filing, you’ll need to use last year's adjusted gross income (AGI).  What happened to the e-filing PIN?

Please see the link below for instructions on how to get last year's AIG:

How do I find last year’s AGI?

Apr 23, 2020 7:19:20 AM

Hi can you send me my six digit passcode please 

Level 15
Apr 23, 2020 7:21:37 AM

@Harringtonj95 wrote:

Hi can you send me my six digit passcode please 

Only the IRS provides the 6 digit Identity Protection PIN because you reported an identity theft to the IRS in a prior year. 

Go to this IRS website for IP PIN information - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

Mar 14, 2021 4:41:10 PM

Have a rejected E-File, I have the IP PIN number, but cannot find the location to enter.

Employee Tax Expert
Mar 14, 2021 4:55:00 PM

You can enter it in the federal section of the program.

1. Select Other Tax Situations at the top of the screen
  2. Select Other Return Info
  3. Select Identity Protection PIN and select Start/Edit
  4. Proceed to follow the steps to enter your information from the IRS

@jshannon57

Level 1
Apr 8, 2021 8:57:58 AM

After putting the 6 digit IP Pin in as stated, you can enter any 5 digit pin when you go thru the final steps for filing. Remember the new 5 digit pin for future tax returns.

Returning Member
Apr 9, 2021 8:34:25 AM

I received an ip pin number from the IRS for 2020 tax year.  I can not enter it on TurboTax, so the IRS will not let me e-file my return, and the state will also not  accept it.  The way that is shown here to enter it does not work as any of my three computers as there is not a  ( Federal Taxes tab ), or the other tabs that follow it. Turbo tax only  asked for the 5 number code and gives one no choice to enter the 6 number code, or change between them.  I have used turbo tax app. 15 years, but will have to  change to another tax service if they do not correct this. 

Level 15
Apr 9, 2021 8:37:12 AM

@olymay22 wrote:

I received an ip pin number from the IRS for 2020 tax year.  I can not enter it on TurboTax, so the IRS will not let me e-file my return, and the state will also not  accept it.  The way that is shown here to enter it does not work as any of my three computers as there is not a  ( Federal Taxes tab ), or the other tabs that follow it. Turbo tax only  asked for the 5 number code and gives one no choice to enter the 6 number code, or change between them.  I have used turbo tax app. 15 years, but will have to  change to another tax service if they do not correct this. 

To enter a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

Returning Member
Apr 9, 2021 10:20:23 AM

Found the ip pin entre.   THANK YOU A BUNCH.  The problem is I do not need to use the  ( Other Tax Situations )   in doing my taxes.     The other thing it was said to go to the Federal tax tab, but there isn't any Fed tax tab.  There is instead  three sections labeled  Personal Info,  Business, and  Personal and  under it  is located 

Other Tax Situations.   This section is for entering ones tax information for both Fed. and State taxes. 

Any way I got TT to accept the ip pin number.

Returning Member
Apr 18, 2021 10:37:56 AM

I filed electronically and was rejected by the  because EITHER the AGI and/or the PIN was not correct.  The five digit PIN was populated with information from 2019's  return.  I  logged into IRS and obtained a 6 digit PIN and tried to replace the 2019 PIN. The AGI's matched so I "knew" it must be a PIN problem.   (I now know the IRS  PIN <> TurboTax PIN.)   Bottom line, I have become one  with IRS rejection notification.  I will mail my returns in. :(

Expert Alumni
Apr 18, 2021 1:20:06 PM

@GrandpaKeys The five-digit e-file pin and six-digit identity protection pin are two different things.

If you received a IP Pin from the IRS you have to enter that separately into TurboTax in Other Tax Situations. 

• Type ip pin in Search in the upper right
  • Select Jump to ip pin

Once you get an IP PIN you will have to use an IP PIN to file every year. The IRS will mail you a new PIN every year.

Related Resource:

May 3, 2021 9:01:02 PM

Thanks for adding this info.  That is EXACTLY what I was wondering - after getting my 6-digit pin in there, what to do about the 5-digit pin.

Expert Alumni
May 3, 2021 9:13:43 PM

For identification purposes, you need to enter either last year’s Self-Select PIN (5 digit pin you used to e-file last year) or adjusted gross income (AGI).   The Self-Select pin you used last year is not saved anywhere in TurboTax.  You would have needed to write it down and save it.   But you only need last year's PIN or last year's AGI, not both.  

The Self-Select PIN is a random five-digit number that you enter as your electronic signature when e-filing your return.

The IP PIN is a six-digit number that the IRS assigns to victims of tax-related identity theft.

Related Information:

For the purpose of signing your electronic return, they’re the same. You can reuse your Self-Select PIN from last year or create a new one to use.   It doesn’t matter which option you choose.

May 18, 2021 8:03:56 AM

IT WORKED!

Level 2
Feb 10, 2022 6:58:03 PM

the IRS sent me my IP PIN, will i also need to put in the 5-digit pin at the end before i submit where i add my driver’s license ID??? 

Level 2
Feb 10, 2022 7:17:16 PM

Which block do I find  my AGI? I just want to make sure i put in the correct figure! 🤔

Expert Alumni
Feb 10, 2022 7:18:20 PM

Enter your 6-digit Identity Protection (IP) pin first.   Follow these instructions to enter your IP PIN:

1. Sign into your TurboTax account.
  2. Open or continue to your return if you don't already have it open.
  3. In the Search bar type "IP PIN" (don't forget the space) and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  4. On the Identity Protection PIN screen, answer Yes and enter your IP PIN in the space provided.
    • If you need to remove the IP PIN, select edit, then the trash icon.
  5. Select Done.

If you received an Identity Protection (IP PIN) or CP01A notice from the IRS in the past you must use your 2021 IP PIN to validate your identity when you file your 2021 return. 

When you go through the filing steps, yes, TurboTax will ask for your Self-Select pin (the 5 digit #) before you enter your drivers license info.   You can reuse your Self-Select PIN from last year or create a new one to use.  It doesn’t matter which option you choose.

For identification purposes, you need to enter either last year’s Self-Select PIN or adjusted gross income (AGI).   You are the only person that knows or has record of the 5 digit number you used last year.   It is not kept with your tax return or anywhere with TurboTax.   If you used TurboTax last year, your AGI will be prepopulated, so you won't need to enter the Self-Select pin.    @lss1  

What is the difference between the five-digit Self-Select PIN I created last year and my Self-Select PIN this year?

Level 2
Feb 10, 2022 7:26:34 PM

I did not use turbotax last year and do not have my efile PIN. How do i get a new one this year?

Level 15
Feb 10, 2022 10:16:50 PM

@ lss1

wrote:

I did not use turbotax last year and do not have my efile PIN. How do i get a new one this year?

By "efile PIN" are you referring to the 5-digit Self-Select PIN from last year?  

When efiling, there are a couple of places in the filing section where TurboTax might ask you about a 5-digit PIN.   On the screen where you verify your efiling, TurboTax may ask you to provide either the 2020 AGI or your prior-year Self-Select PIN.  It's likely most people use the 2020 AGI instead of their prior-year PIN; i.e., you can choose the AGI field and use the 2020 AGI and leave the PIN field blank.

Or are you asking about a later screen (may be titled "Signature ID") that asks you for a 5-digit PIN and also has your birth date and today's date?   If so, that screen to sign your return says to use "any 5 digits of your choosing."   In that field you can either use the same PIN as last year (for those who still have it), or you can make a new one.  Whatever you enter there can be used again next year.