Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Feb 24, 2023 1:57:01 PM

What price increase is coming February 28, 2023? Just got an email saying we should print or file by then. We aren’t ready to do so.

0 23 2193
23 Replies
Level 15
Feb 24, 2023 2:00:16 PM

Look at the fees on these screens.  See the prices with "strike-through's"?   That is what the price will go up to on March 1.   You do not have to file by March 1.  You can PAY the fees before that date to lock in the lower discounted rate.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

Level 15
Feb 24, 2023 2:01:56 PM

The early discounted prices usually expire on March 1 and go up to full price.  See the online prices here.  You can pay early and file later to lock in the early price.

Online Prices

How to review your fees

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online/00/26353

How to pay,  use this FAQ on how to preview your return.  It will make you pay if you say you want to print now.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Level 3
Feb 24, 2023 3:10:57 PM

This is really annoying.  There are tax documents that aren’t available or required to be filed with the IRS and sent to taxpayers before Feb 28 (and some after).  So there is no way to finish the return.  And TT always has more patches and updates, some years even after April 15.  But they want us to pay these fees early?  Might as well just bundle the fee with the annual software purchase and snatch it from me in November!

Level 3
Feb 24, 2023 3:13:53 PM

I just received the email, and I'm still confused.

I already own Turbotax Premier, desktop version. I realize that the email states the price increase is for "TurboTax Online products". However, the asterisk at the bottom of the email states the following:

"*Federal and state prices are expected to increase on TurboTax Deluxe, TurboTax Premium, TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Full Service, TurboTax Live Assisted, and TurboTax Self-Employed after February 28, 2023 midnight PT."

That sounds to me like prices are going up on everything. It may just be a case of poor wording, but it is ambiguous.

Help?

Level 3
Feb 24, 2023 3:25:29 PM

And I can’t find a way to prepay the filing fee on TT Deluxe, Premier, etc anywhere online.  

Level 15
Feb 24, 2023 3:33:31 PM

@Mikemcna @anastrophe   If you already have the Desktop program installed don't worry about it.  They sent that marketing email to everyone they have an email for.  It's just for Online versions.  Oh and if you still need to buy the Desktop program.  

But also the $20 fee to efile a state return in the Desktop program will go up to $25.  

Level 3
Feb 24, 2023 3:36:18 PM

Sooo...based on your last sentence, it does apply - in part - to Desktop, not just online.

Level 15
Feb 24, 2023 3:43:05 PM

Yes the state efile fee.  I don't think there's any way to prepay that early before filing.  I try to finish and file before March 1.  Years ago the increases were later.  But this year when I bought my CD at Costco I got a $10 credit that was automatically applied to the $20 efile fee so it was only $10! I think Costco & Sams have that offer. 

What is the $10 credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/credit/turbotax-desktop-10-credit-available-wholesale/L052b4HXc_US_en_US

Level 3
Feb 24, 2023 3:49:23 PM

It's just odd messaging from Intuit I guess. I bought TT Premier on Amazon for $64.99 on Jan 14, and I see the price now is $82.99, so I guess I should be thankful for small favors.

I have to wait until after March 15 to file, as I have a single investment that has 'special reporting requirements', sigh.

Level 3
Feb 24, 2023 4:14:41 PM

I see the strike through but I have yet to find the fee increase and the file by 28 Feb date or it goes up under the "*" in the long legal disclaimer.  I already paid for the cd/download version lat month, not the online version and I have downloaded deluxe onto my computer yet I still got the email today saying I have to file by 28 Feb or the price goes up!  I already paid for the download version!  I'm tired of these little games by TT and will go elswhere next year.  They have lost a decades old customer over these types of games they seem to play lately.

Level 15
Feb 24, 2023 4:17:59 PM

@sudiki  Ignore that marketing email.  It is mainly for the Online versions.  You already paid for the Desktop program.  Except the $20 fee to efile a state return will go up to $25.  Read this whole thread.  I explained most of it.  It's been this way every year.  

Level 3
Feb 24, 2023 4:19:20 PM

I have the downloaded deluxe on my desktop and I got the email today also.  Why would they send it to the download customers if the increase is for the online customers?  I feel it's a purposeful trick and quite frankly I'm tired of these little games they have started playing in the recent years.  Every year it seems to get worse.   I'm going to go elsewhere next year.  they have lost a decades old customer because of these type of confusing things!

Level 3
Feb 24, 2023 4:20:31 PM

" Oh and if you still need to buy the Desktop program. "

what does that mean???

Level 15
Feb 24, 2023 4:22:23 PM

@sudiki 

IF you have already purchased the Download version, the only price increase is:

1)  The State e-file goes up from $20 to $25  (except NY)

and

2)  If you still have to buy any additional states beyond the free one? (...if you have the versions with one free state)..those extra state software sets will cost $45 instead of $40

Level 15
Feb 24, 2023 4:22:47 PM

This is from the Online page.  Orange banner at top says Feb 28.  But you have the Desktop program.

Level 15
Feb 24, 2023 4:24:02 PM

@sudiki wrote:

" Oh and if you still need to buy the Desktop program. "

what does that mean???

Some people haven't bought the program yet to do their taxes.  

Level 3
Feb 24, 2023 4:27:57 PM

I don't recall  getting an email last year or the years before saying I had to pay by xx date or it would go up and I always buy the desktop download.  I should not have to waste my time posting and reading the "whole thread" or anything else for that matter if it doesn't apply to the desktop versions.  They shouldn't even send out a notice to those customers.  All it does is muddy the waters.  They could easily clear things up by stating in the email that it does not apply to the download/desktop version!

Level 15
Feb 24, 2023 4:34:49 PM

@sudiki Just so you know.....if you use the desktop program the state e-file fee goes from $20 to $25 on March 1.  You can avoid the state e-file fee if you print and mail the state instead.

Level 15
Feb 24, 2023 4:36:14 PM

@sudiki 

I could be wrong...but I don't think they sent out those notices in earlier years....and millions of people (Online users) were PO'd because they got blindsided with no notice......other than being told later that the Online prices always rise 1 March.

Yeah...they need to tailor that notice to be a more complete explanation.

Returning Member
Mar 3, 2023 10:16:45 PM

I had no idea. The $65 I paid last year is now $96. I've got offers to buy it at a "discount" direct for over $100 - and it's any type of package, including the download package.

I don't know whose absurd idea this was - is the demand on March 3 causing you to have a supply shortage of bandwidth?

My family are (temporarily ) all on Turbo Tax. Each of us bought our own package and we've decided that if the prices don't change, we're migrating to the competition by end of next week. We know it's a bit clunkier but the essentials are all the same and once it's all in there, we'll never have to look back. Good luck with your new pricing model.

Returning Member
Mar 3, 2023 10:33:22 PM

I just found the "notice" I was given about the price increase.

"Final day to save up to $40 on your taxes"

That's it. Typical tunnel vision marketing employees. means absolutely nothing to users and the "up to" language immediately implies some type of other service and upsell where you could save $5 or perhaps $40 if you pre-buy something for the next 5 years. Nothing direct which says "prices going up $40 for our products tomorrow" which would actually convey it clearly.

Going up almost 2/3 the entire price of the software is gouging, the type that some companies will extract when a monopoly/oligopoly exists. Perhaps someone might look into that. But nothing will change in time fo this years taxes. If this is the way things shall be, we'll all be gone and won't be looking back by the end of next week. And perhaps we'll take a whole lot more customers with us when they find out.

Mar 6, 2023 6:54:11 PM

I’m filing for MI and NY.  My e-filed returns for MI were only $20 last month.  The one I filed in March was $25.  I contacted TurboTax and they had no idea why the increase, but based on your response, it seems there was a $5 increase.  I was charged $49 to buy NY.  Is there a charge to e-file NY? It says “except NY”, so does that mean $0? Thanks!

Intuit Alumni
Mar 7, 2023 10:57:19 AM

@Kmondrus Yes, you are correct. To e-file your New York State return would be $0. 

TurboTax Desktop & TurboTax Advantage 2022-2023 Prices (intuit.com)