Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 5, 2019 11:32:11 PM

What does refund has been processed mean compared to being processed

state website says my return has been processed, does that mean approved and will be sent a check?

1 33 75853
24 Replies
Intuit Alumni
Jun 5, 2019 11:32:12 PM

Refund has been processed means that they have approved and are ready to send you your refund.

Your return being processed mean that your tax return is being processed.

Your status should change from being processed to accepted and then a date given for your refund.

Keep checking each day for that. 

Jun 5, 2019 11:32:14 PM

Does this apply to state tax as well?  Thank you

Intuit Alumni
Jun 5, 2019 11:32:15 PM

Yes it does. Generally the same thing across the board.

Apr 28, 2020 6:49:48 AM

What  that means still processed

Apr 28, 2020 6:51:21 AM

It  been processed  about  4 months 

Apr 28, 2020 6:55:03 AM

It been  said  it processed  for about  four months 

Apr 28, 2020 6:57:47 AM

Are you still there 

Employee Tax Expert
Apr 30, 2020 6:26:09 AM

It depends.

Usually it means they are just taking some extra time to process your return.

Please see the following links for additional information as well as how to track the status of your state refund.

IRS processing time and refund status

Please see the attached for more specific information as it applies to your particular state. 

How to track my refund 

@Delores60

Feb 19, 2021 5:50:35 PM

Suggested correction. The return will show 

RETURN WILL SHOW ACCEPTED by the IRS before showing PROCESSED. 

I just wanted to let u know you had it backwards. Don't worry, I have a backwards brain all the darn time! 😂😂 

Not applicable
Mar 9, 2021 7:44:19 AM

efiled 23 days ago and still IRS system says, "Your tax return is still being processed." What exactly does this mean. Should I be worried? As an Expat it is almost starting to keeping me up nights with all that is going on back home. First time doing things this was with this firm. I know it has only been a couple of days past the 3-week 'window'... but still no further update. I keep checking. Perhaps my online location is the issue? 

Level 9
Mar 9, 2021 8:50:04 AM

You can find out your tax return's status in the following ways:

@iamariva1957

Not applicable
Mar 9, 2021 4:09:37 PM

Thank for the response.... but telling me, as an expert, to call the IRS although helpful did not answer my question. I was hoping for some insight.

Level 10
Mar 9, 2021 5:24:09 PM

Part of what is happening is that the IRS is running behind.  I have clients whose returns say still processing and Where's My Refund shows no progress, but they have received their refunds.  The IRS has had a lot of down time and a lot of extra work due to COVID.  Everything is not running exactly on time, but they are doing a great job with everything that they are being asked to do.  If your refund has been processed, that does mean that you will be getting your refund.  

If the refund is being sent, by check, the US Mail is also behind.  The best place to check is the IRS Where's My Refund website, but that is also not always up to date.

Returning Member
Mar 13, 2021 7:22:53 PM

Im erica cauthorne i have received a letter from the irs say full amount of child tax credit

Returning Member
Mar 13, 2021 7:25:41 PM

What does additional child tax credit mean from the irs its a 1040 8812 form

Returning Member
Mar 13, 2021 9:08:02 PM

Thank you for your helping me

Returning Member
Mar 14, 2021 7:31:20 PM

Thanks you turbo tax how fill out the form for the irs 1040

Returning Member
Mar 29, 2021 8:03:57 AM

Thanks you

Not applicable
Mar 29, 2021 8:33:10 AM

What? Are you telling me that my return has been processed?  I have been in a panic now with NO help at all from turbotax for more than a month! So is this word from them that all us well...or is this an answer to a question have not asked?

Expert Alumni
Mar 29, 2021 10:49:51 AM

IRS is the only place to provide refund information.  TurboTax cannot answer that question.

Sorry that you are having an issue with the IRS.  TurboTax does not issue refunds or Stimulus checks.  TurboTax is a tax preparation platform.  If you have submitted your return to the IRS, then TurboTax is out of the picture.  IRS is forbidden to discuss your information with TurboTax because of privacy laws.  There could be several reasons why you have not received your Stimulus or refund.

IRS is very busy now with all of the added work of Stimulus checks, CARES Act changes, issuing refunds, processing amendments, and still doing the normal everyday routine with half the staff because of the Pandemic

Not applicable
Mar 29, 2021 5:19:18 PM

You day that once the return is filed Turbotax is out of the picture. Interesting.  Well... no it isn't as they still want to be paid due to the customer signing up for Max.  What makes me upset is that turbo won't look at my return to make sure thatvwhatvtgeir system was correct and that I did not make a mistake. Though I call nicely to TT I get no help... just reminders that on April 9 I have to pay for the privilege of TT  doing something that has no outcome and does not bother to help like any accountant would do.

Level 15
Mar 29, 2021 5:31:13 PM

As a tax preparer  I cannot do anything for my clients and neither can the TT DIY program.  The fact you are having the refund sent to the third party processing bank before heading your way doesn't change that fact  that no one can  intercede on your behalf as it is against the rules. 

If you chose to pay your TurboTax fees out of your Federal refund, and if your Federal refund has been delayed unusually long at the IRS (or if it's been reduced), TurboTax will want to be paid.  They likely started sending you emailed bills to pay.  If you didn't respond by either paying or asking for a deferment, they would ultimately debit your bank account.   If you didn't get the emails, check other email accounts and also the spam/junk folders.

See this FAQ that explains the process.  The first paragraph has a special phone number if you have a question or need to appeal a NSF fee (non-sufficient funds/overdraft fee).

Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern), Mon-Fri

FAQ:  Why was my bank account auto-debited for the TurboTax fees?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-was-my-bank-account-auto-debited-for-tur...

Level 15
Mar 29, 2021 5:35:25 PM

As for looking at or reviewing your return none of the TT support people are qualified to do that ... if you had upgraded to the LIVE feature where you could have the return reviewed BEFORE you filed then you would have no need to have it looked at after you filed. 

All you can do is wait patiently until the IRS finishes processing your return.  They are unusually delayed this year so everyone has to be understanding. 

Not applicable
Mar 29, 2021 7:34:53 PM

I do thank you for your response.

However, what you have said is not unknown to me. What I am referring to is TTs failure (though I have asked repeatedly) to look over my return to see if there were mistakes made by either the system or me. This would be an inhouse review and therefore, not involving contacting the IRS on my behalf. 

My contact with the IRS has produced explanations such as "I don't know"... "We cannot guarantee..." and " Due to Covid" (the latter is the fallback). Yet others I know who have filed via TT have received their return and stimulus payment. So.... I sit in a panic... wonder... and depression.

As for paying TT for a service that has been supplied..  without overall due diligence regarding a client who has paid for the extra coverage with TT... a payment by me will be made.  But it will be done under protest. Though I am sure TT will care little about that.

I simply want to know what TT can do to check my return. I have not recieved and correspondents from the IRS via any medium to date. So I wait for anyone at TT to perhaps help me.