Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jul 9, 2019 12:50:39 AM

Trying to figure out where my Tax claim got stuck. W-2. Already filed in 2016. Haven't been able to take my tax process further. Worked in America. I'm from South Africa

0 8 841
8 Replies
Level 15
Jul 9, 2019 5:47:48 AM

Not saying I have the answer for you.....but you need to provide a LOT more information.

1) Are you a USA citizen?  IF not a US citizen, what was your Visa status when you worked in the USA?

2)  Are you trying to complete a 2016 tax return?   or is 2016 tax filing finished properly, but maybe you now need to prepare a newer year's taxes too? (if a newer year, which year's taxes?)

3) If not a USA citizen, are you now living in the USA, or did you return to South Africa and are now living there?

Jul 10, 2019 3:05:08 AM

Good Morning @SteamTrain 

I am a South African citizen. Regarding the Visa status, unfortunately I'm not too sure what you mean. If it helps. I went abroad to work there for a limited time only, six months.

I am trting to complete my 2016 Tax Return. If I understand it correctly this is the only year I'm allowed to claim from. I'm not claiming from 2017 or onwards, since I only worked in the US in 2016 only.

Just to reiterate. I am a South African citizen. Would you prefer I attach a screenshot of what the site says about my 2016 Tax?

Regards

Level 15
Jul 10, 2019 4:53:42 AM

@handdrops 

Well...for 2016 taxes you cannot use the Online software anyhow....so unless you have the 2016 desktop/download software, you can't continue "Online".....but even then it is possible you can't even use the desktop software  (see #2 below)

1)  No screenshots unless you remove all your personal identifying information.

2)  I'm asking elsewhere for help...because it is possible you should be filing a form 1040NR......BUT, since desktop TurboTax will only prepare and file forms 1040EZ, 1040A, or 1040 for 2016 taxes, you may have to get the paper/PDF forms form the IRS website and file by mail. 

That could the primary problem you are encountering.  There was another service that offered forms 1040NR forms Online, but I don't know if they'd do prior year (2016) forms at this time.

I'm poking some others for comment.....See what others might have to suggest.

Level 15
Jul 10, 2019 9:30:59 AM

@handdrops 

Have had one response where one of the SuperUsers believed you will likely have to file a 1040NR (that TTX software doesn't have ).

1)  One place that  does 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ forms is Sprintax....but you would have to use their Contact Us link to determine if their system can do a 2016 form at all on their filing system.

https://www.sprintax.com/

Otherwise, you may have to use the 2016 IRS forms downloaded as PDF documents, and fill them out manually, and mail them in:

1040NR forms:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040nr--2016.pdf

and instructions

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040nr--2016.pdf

1040NR-EZ forms :

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040nre--2016.pdf

and instructions:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040nre--2016.pdf

Now...see if others have some additional input.

Level 15
Jul 10, 2019 7:19:09 PM

@handdrops  , having gone through the above interactions and agreeing with @SteamTrain , here is what I get from your post-- (a) you are a Non-resident alien from South Africa ; (b) you were in the US for six months during 2016 ( when did you enter the USA and when did you leave; what visa ?? ); (c) you were employed for the six months ( yes? ) by US employer ( ?) and issued a W-2;  (d) you filed a return  ( yes? )  for the year 2016 but have not heard from the IRS   OR you are trying to file a 2016 return.  (e) need help in proceeding.

As you can see from my question marks , there are lot of information we need before being able to provide an answer specific to your scenario.   It appears prima facie  that you were  a Non-Resident Alien and  should have filed a form 1040-NR  but depending on your answers  this may change.  Please answer the questions and as much information as you can -- this is public  board so refrain from personally identifiable information.

Level 15
Jul 11, 2019 3:45:58 AM

True......your original start-up question seems to indicate you already sent in your 2016 tax forms.

as noted in  PK's part d) question......be clear as to whether that is a Yes or  No too?  IF that is a YES......IF you did already mail in your tax forms, what was the form type?  1040 or 1040NR?  (and exactly when did you mail them in to the IRS)

Jul 11, 2019 7:43:26 AM

@SteamTrain @pk 

Good Afternoon SteamTrain and pk.

I apologise for my lack of own personal information. I worked through a company called Away2xplore. I am busy getting into contact with them regarding the type of visa I applied to. Only on their reply will I be able to source you an answer regarding my visa type.

Regarding the other questions. I was employed by a US employer throughout the six months. Alpine Amusement Park. I was then issued a W-2 form afterwards, which I then used to fill out (to the best of my ability) on TurboTax's website.

Regards 

Level 15
Jul 11, 2019 8:21:19 AM

@handdrops 

But...

1)  did  you actually submit that 2016 tax form?  Either by mail, or by e-filing?

2)  did you just fill out the data, but not actually send it in yet?

3) ....and when ? what calendar year did you fill in the data from 2016.  in 2017? or 2018? or recently in 2019?