Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Feb 8, 2021 12:12:38 PM

Return has W-2 SSN that does not match the taxpayers or spouses ssn on the return. The good news is you can still print your Illinois return and file it by mail.

0 2 223
2 Replies
Intuit Alumni
Feb 8, 2021 3:38:12 PM

It sounds like you have a w-2 that does not match with your SSN or your spouses, so they are instructing you to print your return and mail it instead of e-filing. 

If you need additional assistance, please click here to contact customer support. 

Level 15
Feb 8, 2021 5:31:23 PM

@ambercorn2020  @CarissaM 

I had someone the other day that had his issue....and this might be the same issue.

The problem for them was that the W-2 entered was scanned (or photo'ed) to import it.

.....and apparently some recent format was allowed, for which employers can issue paper/PDF W-2 forms  with only the last 4 digits of the SSN showing...such as:

So...the SSN couldn't match at all.   Problem is that IL doesn't accept one entered that way....at least not for electronic filing..  

The solution, so that the IL tax return could be e-filed, was to just delete that W-2, and re-enter it manually  ( "I'll type in in myself"  ).  That way the worksheet uses your full SSN from the My Info page.   That worked for the other user that had this problem.

Of course, I can't know if that is exactly the same issue to what you are experiencing