Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jan 21, 2020 5:37:15 PM

My return has been rejected several times for IND-996. However, my son was not issued an IP Pin and has never filed. Can I still e-file?

0 3 1002
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jan 23, 2020 11:50:40 AM

No, if your return is being rejected with code IND-996, you cannot e-file without first getting a IP Pin for your son.

Since your son has not been issued an IP Pin, the first step  would be to click the link below and see if you can get one for him. 

PLEASE CLICK HERE to get an IP Pin

Jun 16, 2020 5:05:40 PM

I have the exact same problem. My son is not even one year old. I am trying to get one for my 3-year-old daughter but its website doesn't;t give me any option to obtain IP Pin for a dependent. What should be done now?

Expert Alumni
Jun 16, 2020 6:10:59 PM

Most taxpayers don't need an an IP PIN — the IRS only issues them in select cases.

If you know you need an IP PIN to file your taxes and you lost your CP01A letter (or never received it), you can:

• Retrieve your IP PIN online at the IRS's Get an IP PIN site; or
  • Call the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 to have your IP PIN mailed to you (this can take up to 21 days)

We're unable to issue IP PINs and you won't find them on your tax paperwork. You can only get IP PINs from the IRS.

Related Information:

@whoman_ir